• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Swype Capabilities

People have been requesting this functionality FOREVER (or, at least, it seems like forever). I'm sure a dev has tried to figure it out, but it clearly is not very easy to do so nobody has taken the effort to get it all done. Honestly, I'm not sure it's even possible to have an app do this functionality UNLESS the app itself has the two keyboards, which would be infringement. That is, the app would have all the Swype code for portrait and multi-touch for landscape. Having it switch between the two (that is, pulling it from another app) would be more difficult than simply integrating the keyboards as part of the app, I'd imagine.

But, I agree, this would be a sweet feature.

Edit: Just found this from somebody more knowledgeable than me.

Sorry to get your hopes up. After a few hours research, it turns out that this is a fundamental security system which cannot be bypassed. It is not possible to change the input device from outside the input device itself. It is also not possible to get access to the inner functionality of input devices from outside.

All of these restrictions are to stop illicit applications from creating keyloggers or macro systems to drive the UI behind the users back. We will have to keep lobbying for the core Android developers to implement the ability to select two different IMEs depending on orientation. There is a feature request at the Android Google Code website. It's ID 7037.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-636836.html

Reactions: redwings0921
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones