• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

bbuck002

Android Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2010
Buffalo
OK, so for the first day and a half or so i was using the multitouch keyboard on the Dx, and then I decided to give the swype keyboard a try... I must admit I'm sold and love the idea of this input system... I'm also absolutely shocked at the ability of the swype program to get my words correct. The vocabulary (including shortened and slang words) in the program is outstanding...

I'd love to hear other's thoughts about the input....

i like swype too... kind of a strange request... but I wonder if there's a way to type:

"the quick red fox jumped over the lazy brown dog" for example

without ever having to lift up your finger... if you could just type a sentence or paragraph without lifting your finger and the phone could just know what you want to say.... now that would be cool... the only thing that slows me down is physically lifting my finger up which makes the physical keyboards slightly faster for now atleast...

also is there a way to completely disable swype and just using the regular press keyboard I want to see if disabling swype has any kind of better effect... I went into options but couldn't find :thinking:

Upvote 0
i like swype too... kind of a strange request... but I wonder if there's a way to type:

without ever having to lift up your finger... if you could just type a sentence or paragraph without lifting your finger and the phone could just know what you want to say.... now that would be cool... the only thing that slows me down is physically lifting my finger up which makes the physical keyboards slightly faster for now atleast...

also is there a way to completely disable swype and just using the regular press keyboard I want to see if disabling swype has any kind of better effect... I went into options but couldn't find :thinking:

That would definitely be cool if you can compose a message without having to lift your finger after each word. I still find that I'm pretty proficient at it, considering I've only started using it

As for setting it back to the regular keyboard, it should be under Settings -> Language & Keyboard -> Input Method

Upvote 0

Click and hold in the input text area of your text message and it will have te option to change the import method.

Reactions: mmae
Upvote 0
Click and hold in the input text area of your text message and it will have te option to change the import method.

ohh the android newb... would you believe me if I told you I have had every android phone ever released on verizon?!?! i'm coming from bb bold this time and havn't used android since incredible for about 2 weeks before I got rid of it due to the battery...

thank you for this info...

Upvote 0
the great thing about swype is, you can swype, or you can input like a normal keyboard.

agreed, however i dunno if anyone else notices this or i'm just being really picky.. when on swype and your typing normal, there's a slight lag versus non swype input... it maybe all in my head but when I see the swype line drag I think there's a slight lag (I had no intent of rhyming :rolleyes:)

Upvote 0
ohh the android newb... would you believe me if I told you I have had every android phone ever released on verizon?!?! i'm coming from bb bold this time and havn't used android since incredible for about 2 weeks before I got rid of it due to the battery...

thank you for this info...

No problem. This is my first smart phone. So I have had a lot of help also. Just sharing what I know.

Upvote 0
Absolutely love Swype. I was very nervous about the touch screen (I have never used one, but have friends who have traded their older model BB in for a newer one with a TS and they hate it).
My *only* gripe (and it isn't much of one), is that I have to actually look at what I am doing. With a physical keyboard, I could type in basic messages by touch.
I'd still *much* rather have swype than a physical keyboard!

Upvote 0
For the first couple days with my Droid X I was using the multitouch keyboard. However, on Saturday I gave swype a try and set it as the default input method. Took me a while to get used to but WOW I am impressed. I was texting some people the other day and they were able to notice how fast I was texting. I don't think I will ever be able to go back to a non- swype keyboard.

Upvote 0
yeah i just came from a OG BB storm and i could type on that pretty fast, but this is way faster and i actually make less mistakes

Was on a BB Storm before this and I could type decently fast, but Swype is phenomenal. It is truly a revolutionary way to type on a cell phone.

^^^What they said. I also noticed that you don't have to be very exact as to where you're "swyping" as compared to the "pecking" method. I've noticed a few times that as long as I was in the general area, it worked! Blew my mind. The people who developed this are geniuses! :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones