• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Swype for android leaked!

I showed a couple iTard friends of mine this and they refused to see the coolness of this app. They kept calling it nothing more than a gimmick. I told them I had my reservations at first but I learned to love out. They refused to even try it out. I guess since they know Apple would never approve this app they are better off hating out... Classic.

Upvote 0
I showed a couple iTard friends of mine this and they refused to see the coolness of this app. They kept calling it nothing more than a gimmick. I told them I had my reservations at first but I learned to love out. They refused to even try it out. I guess since they know Apple would never approve this app they are better off hating out... Classic.

Why wouldn't Apple ever approve it? They already have a similar program called ShapeWriter (which is what I used before Swype on my Droid) and they're working on getting Swype onto the iPhone. Apple might not approve it as quickly (versus Droid, where a dev can just toss it on the market) but I don't think it's the "never gonna happen" idea you seem to think it is.

I get annoyed with iFanboyz too, but I don't turn around and act smug and superior about my Droid just to compensate. I think each phone has its merits and its drawbacks. I just happen to prefer my Droid.

So, seriously? Chill out a bit about the whole thing.

Upvote 0
I had this problem initially, then remembered I wasn't doing the circle on the letter "t" to get the double letter. Did you go through the tutorial where it explains that?

Yep, I went through the tutorial. I must have been having newbie issues. I don't seem to be having any more issues. And with a bit more practice I will be much faster~S

Upvote 0
Why wouldn't Apple ever approve it? They already have a similar program called ShapeWriter (which is what I used before Swype on my Droid) and they're working on getting Swype onto the iPhone. Apple might not approve it as quickly (versus Droid, where a dev can just toss it on the market) but I don't think it's the "never gonna happen" idea you seem to think it is.

I get annoyed with iFanboyz too, but I don't turn around and act smug and superior about my Droid just to compensate. I think each phone has its merits and its drawbacks. I just happen to prefer my Droid.

Very well put Karimarie. I'm happy that they're happy and I'm ecstatic that I'm ecstatic with the Droid. I milked my Pearl on Tmobile for so long just to get here and the phone I though I wanted was the Omnia II. Thank goodness they waited so long to bring it out.

Upvote 0

You assumed smugness in my comment? I showed them something that was not on the iPhone - even if it is not out yet - and they wouldn't even look at it. In fact, they refuse to even pick up the Droid. Seriously... they won't look at it, which I find weird because I love playing with all different types of tech.

Besides all that, I was commenting on Swype - which I know is not Droid exclusive - and I was not talking about the phone itself.

Upvote 0
So I signed up for the official Beta version a while ago, but never heard anything after registering. Now that I know there is a leaked version, I really want it...I haven't heard a single negative thing about it (besides that one guy who posted the "pirated version" thread). Two questions though...

At the download site, it says use the code at your own risk. What exactly does that mean? At first I thought it was because it was only for rooted phones, but i understand that's not the case.

Also, does anyone know when the official version comes out?

Thanks

Upvote 0
So I signed up for the official Beta version a while ago, but never heard anything after registering. Now that I know there is a leaked version, I really want it...I haven't heard a single negative thing about it (besides that one guy who posted the "pirated version" thread). Two questions though...

At the download site, it says use the code at your own risk. What exactly does that mean? At first I thought it was because it was only for rooted phones, but i understand that's not the case.

Also, does anyone know when the official version comes out?

Thanks

I represent that remark about the fellow that posted about it being pirated software. I was being humorous. It was leaked, in my opinion, intentionally to get attention. I believe they were successful.

Use at your own risk means just that. They're not taking any chance on problems that may occur. Or perhaps, it's another way of drawing attention. Then again, they might not want to be responsible for the plastic surgery required to take the smile off you face.

Joke man, joke. This has got to be the app of the year. If not, this is going to be a very, very good year. It learned my userid in less than an hour.

Upvote 0
Swype "installs" and shows up in application list, but there is no icon or way to access this with a long press.
I have the "talk to me" keyboard installed, is this causing an issue?
I paid for the talk to me - if I uninstall it to try swype (assuming that's the issue) will they know I am paid and let me reDL with no issues?
Thx
Nick

Upvote 0
Swype "installs" and shows up in application list, but there is no icon or way to access this with a long press.
I have the "talk to me" keyboard installed, is this causing an issue?
I paid for the talk to me - if I uninstall it to try swype (assuming that's the issue) will they know I am paid and let me reDL with no issues?
Thx
Nick

Not sure what your issue is with swype install, but it's not ttm keyboard. I have that installed and have no issue with swype. It must be something else.

Upvote 0
It's strange, I have installed and uninstalled several times, both via the phone and via usb and I know what I am doing, lol.
Now I REALLY want to try it.

This may be too obvious, but did you go into Setting - Language & keyboard and put a check mark by Swype?

When you long press an input area, do you get the option to select an input method?

~S

Upvote 0
You assumed smugness in my comment? I showed them something that was not on the iPhone - even if it is not out yet - and they wouldn't even look at it. In fact, they refuse to even pick up the Droid. Seriously... they won't look at it, which I find weird because I love playing with all different types of tech.

Besides all that, I was commenting on Swype - which I know is not Droid exclusive - and I was not talking about the phone itself.

Given that you called your "friends" iTards, said they're better off "hating out", whatever that means, and ended with a sarcastic "Classic", yeah, I naturally assumed you were feeling smug. It's obvious they were iFanboyz if they refused to look at your phone, but you don't need to play that game right back. Like I said, that attitude gets REALLY old.

Upvote 0
I've been trying Swype for a couple of days now but unless I can find a way to bring up the microphone to dictate (speech to text) some messages I'm afraid I'm going to have to dump it. Really like the app in general but I hate giving up that microphone.

Is there another way to quickly bring up the speech to text that I'm missing?

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones