1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

SWYPE - Great keyboard or a resource hog? (or both)

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Left Coast DJ, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Left Coast DJ

Left Coast DJ Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    Southern California
    Being an Android noob, I'm trying to decide between my stock HTC Thunderbolt keyboard or switching to Skype. I like both keyboards. I'm leaning towards Swype. However, it's 12.43MB under my "Running Apps" list - making it by far the largest app I'm running. For those who are using Swype, is it good enough to be a keeper? For those who have tried Swype, but are now using another keyboard instead, what made you change from Swype?

Advertisement

2. Dan Williams

Dan Williams Lurker
    None

Oct 27, 2010
    NC
    Just a matter of personal preference, but I like SlideIt better than Swype. I did try Swype, but SlideIt is just a better feel for me.

3. mtsarpilot

mtsarpilot Member
    None

Feb 4, 2011
    I love swype. Took a couple days to get fast on it but once I got the hang of out and learned how it predicts it it's w ay faster than the regular keyboard.

4. Left Coast DJ

Left Coast DJ Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    Southern California
    I uninstalled the full version of Swype and installed only the English/Spanish version, which is a much smaller app. And now I'm really digging Swype.

5. Ngo93

Ngo93 Android Enthusiast
    None

Swype is worth keeping. But you can always change keyboards whenever you like, I know I'm always constantly changing my keyboards.

6. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    Private Security
    Seattle
    I love swype in portrait and the default keyboard in landscape. Swype is definitely worth it IMO. I use Keyboard Manager to automatically switch between the 2 keyboards when my orientation changes also.

7. captaincanada84

captaincanada84 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 28, 2010
    Sales Associate
    Asheville, NC
    I love swype too. Tried out SwiftKey and definitely didnt like it much.

8. HJAcevedo

HJAcevedo Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 20, 2011
    College Student
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm not a big fan of swype on my mytouch4g. I used to use it all the time but now I just use the regular old stock touch keyboard. Downloaded the free keyboard the amazon app store had to offer yesterday (i believe it was yesterday) and I didn't like it. It kept force closing when I tried to type in firefox.

9. aysiu

aysiu Android Expert
    None

Mar 6, 2011
    I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I think it's neither a great keyboard nor a resource hog. I tried it out for a little bit, and I didn't see it taxing my CPU or anything. I also didn't find it very fast or easy to use.

With the stock Android keyboard, I can quickly tap the first two or three letters of a word and then select the autocomplete suggestion that's most appropriate. Try typing definitely or creative using Swype. Are you really going to drag your fingers over all those keys?

10. my2sense

my2sense Newbie
    None

Apr 18, 2010
    +1. SlideIt works better for me too. It just seems to work better for me somehow even though my MyTouch 4g came with Swype.

11. NowVoyager

NowVoyager Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Entrepreneur
    Left Coast
    I love Swype! I tried SlideIT and it was too stiff for my liking and was not as accurate. Swype has a minimal learning curve for people who are used to tapping their keyboard. It really operates just as the name suggests... with a swipe motion. Once you learn that, it is as fast as lightening. In fact, the world record for texting was made using Swype. I, too opted for the smaller footprint English/Spanish version, but if you need the other languages, you have the option. My only peeve about it is Proper Names. I wish that it could learn them faster so that I don't have the same mistakes happening repeatedly. Swype is my mainstay keyboard. However, I use my hardware keyboard for passwords and such in forms. I use the Beta version and it is always improving. I love it.

12. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    You have plenty of room on the thunderbolt for the full version of swype. App size is not something you have to worry about unless you plan on putting 1000 apps on your phone.