1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Swype: How do you do these two things?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by JohnJSal, May 25, 2011.

1. JohnJSal

JohnJSal Android Expert

I'm wondering if there are more elegant ways to do the following two things:

1. Typing possessive nouns. The only thing that seems to work is typing the non-possessive form of the word, then lifting my finger, long-pressing the apostrophe, and then typing the 's'. Is it possible to do it all in one swipe?

2. Similarly, is it possible to punctuate a sentence with one swipe? If I want to end a sentence with a period, question mark, exclamation mark, etc. I have to lift my finger and then long-press the particular punctuation mark I want. Further, if I then want to continue with a new sentence, I have to press Space before typing the next word, otherwise the sentence begins immediately after the punctuation mark. Is there a way to end a sentence with a punctuation mark, and also to add a space when you want to continue typing a new sentence?

Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean Newbie

To type a possessive, simply add the ' (or . button) in with the other letters of the word. For example, if you wanted to type it's, simply swype "i t . s".

As far as punctuation, I have no idea. I'll be following this thread to find out myself.

RazzMaTazz likes this.
  3. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

I haven't used swype for a while so I could be wrong but I think if you want a period just press space (twice maybe) after the last word swyped, if you do this I don't think there is a need to press space again. If you want any other mark you will need to long press and space or press alt the mark then space.

4. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert

For punctuation, you can swype from the punctuation mark to the space bar.

For example, if you want to type a ?, you don't need to long press, just swype from the ? key to the space.

RazzMaTazz and JohnJSal like this.
  5. JohnJSal

JohnJSal Android Expert

That's not a possessive, that's a contraction. :)

What I mean is something like this:

How do I type "John's" without lifting my finger?

6. JohnJSal

JohnJSal Android Expert

Thanks! This is great for when I start a new sentence.

Do you happen to know if there's a way to end a sentence with a punctuation mark without lifting your finger but *not* add the final space?

7. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert

Swype has a bunch of tutorial videos on their site. I'd recommend anyone using swype watch them. You might learn a few tricks.

8. JohnJSal

JohnJSal Android Expert

Yeah, I watched those. Unfortunately the "Apostrophe" video only discusses how to swipe contractions, not possessive nouns.

9. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

I think you will need to add the word "John's" to your dictionary first then you can swype it like a contraction.

10. JohnJSal

JohnJSal Android Expert

Doh! So I guess there's no way besides just long-pressing the apostrophe then? :(

11. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Android Expert

At least for the first time you type "John's". After that it's supposed to get added to the dictionary.

I really like the Swype keyboard, but the Google/Android speech-to-text synthesis is so excellent that I mostly just dictate my emails & text messages and let Google/Android synthesize it to text. I can talk a lot faster than I can type. I can even say the punctuation marks, like "question mark" and "exclamation point". If I need to edit any of the synthesized text, I often use Swype's editing keyboard, which contains keys like arrow keys, page-up, select, delete-back, delete-forward, etc. You can get to that editing keyboard by swiping (from left to right) the bottom-left-most two keys.

12. JohnJSal

JohnJSal Android Expert

Where do you get the speech to text feature?

13. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

There's a mic key at the bottom near the space bar that you press.

14. JohnJSal

JohnJSal Android Expert

Ah, of course! I've only tried it to send a text, but it always messes up at the "To:" part, so I just gave up on it.

15. JohnJSal

JohnJSal Android Expert

Is it possible to use the voice to text feature to make a post like this one? How do you make the text appear in this box to post it?

16. doniago

doniago Android Enthusiast

Erm...isn't it just a matter of bringing up the keyboard and hitting the mic button? If the keyboard isn't showing up on its own you can long-tap the Menu hard button.

17. JohnJSal

JohnJSal Android Expert

Wow I completely missed that. I was thinking of using the magnifying glass on the phone itself. Thanks.

18. v5raptor

v5raptor Lurker

Don't know if you've resolved this by now but I found this on another thread...

Swype JOHN then lift your finger then swype from the apostrophe key to the S