• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Swype Issue - Getting Blue Box

6i9

Apr 21, 2011
Basically I installed a new ROM to my Galaxy S from the stock 2.2 it came with in box.

I am now running 2.3.2;
Baseband Version: I9000XXJVE
Build Number: GINGERBREAD.XWJV1

I flashed it through Odin after collecting all the files.

The flash was successful, had no issues except the fact Swype stopped working. All that happens now is I am getting a flashing blue box around the keyboard when I try insert text.

Since it is default there is no 'uninstall' button available when I go to manage applications and the 'Swype Installer' can't override the default swype.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

I am happy to go through the directory via USB mode and change things but rather wouldn't get too technical with installing new ROMs etc...

Cheers

EDIT: I should add I have tried the trick where you deselect then select the Swype input method. That hasn't worked.

Basically I installed a new ROM to my Galaxy S from the stock 2.2 it came with in box.

I am now running 2.3.2;

The flash was successful, had no issues except the fact Swype stopped working. All that happens now is I am getting a flashing blue box around the keyboard when I try insert text.

Since it is default there is no 'uninstall' button available when I go to manage applications and the 'Swype Installer' can't override the default swype.

I am happy to go through the directory via USB mode and change things but rather wouldn't get too technical with installing new ROMs etc...

Cheers

EDIT: I should add I have tried the trick where you deselect then select the Swype input method. That hasn't worked.

Havent messed about with any FW other than that available through kies. However 2.3.3 is now available officially, so my recomendation is that you flash back to stock (there are guides all over these forums on how to do this) and then just let Kies give you 2.3.3. Swype works perfectly in this version.

Upvote 0
Havent messed about with any FW other than that available through kies. However 2.3.3 is now available officially, so my recomendation is that you flash back to stock (there are guides all over these forums on how to do this) and then just let Kies give you 2.3.3. Swype works perfectly in this version.

Not for me. I should have added that I live in Australia and I bought the phone unlocked and brand new on eBay. I am using a 3/Vodafone sim card.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

I am now running 2.3.2;

Cheers

Enter *#*#2663#*#* from phones keypad, then do the TSP Update, restart phone.

Upvote 0
Are you sure it will allow me to do a 2.3.3 update? I know for a fact it is not available yet for Vodafone Australia?

Only one way to find out, try it.... if it doesnt work, reinstalling Kies should be simple enough... If it works, see what firmware it says its going to update you too, and then google search this fw version. See if its compatible with/Suitable for, your phone. The only other option you have is to flash back to the original FW that came on the phone, if ya still have it.

If I go through with this procedure, will I lose all my data currently saved on my phone?

If you update firmware you dont loose much though its best to FactoryReset before and after and this WILL cause you to loose your data... dont take long to re sync through google and then re download your apps over wifi. SMS etc can be backed up through Kies. Not a massive job.

- R4nd0mJ0k3r

Upvote 0
Only one way to find out, try it.... if it doesnt work, reinstalling Kies should be simple enough... If it works, see what firmware it says its going to update you too, and then google search this fw version. See if its compatible with/Suitable for, your phone. The only other option you have is to flash back to the original FW that came on the phone, if ya still have it.

If you update firmware you dont loose much though its best to FactoryReset before and after and this WILL cause you to loose your data... dont take long to re sync through google and then re download your apps over wifi. SMS etc can be backed up through Kies. Not a massive job.

- R4nd0mJ0k3r

To clarify everything you have said.

Basically I need to change the Registry for Kies to make it 'think' that my phone is running an older version (and upgradeable version) of Android OS, therefore it should ask me to update to the latest available OS (if available for me)?

Cheers

Upvote 0
To clarify everything you have said.

Basically I need to change the Registry for Kies to make it 'think' that my phone is running an older version (and upgradeable version) of Android OS, therefore it should ask me to update to the latest available OS (if available for me)?

Cheers

Sounds about right man. Lemmie know how it goes, and remember, untill you hit "Update Firmware" (If given this option) the only changes your going to make are to Kies, which keeps your phone safe in case you get cold feet lol :p.

- R4nd0mJ0k3r

Upvote 0
Pulls down the latest touch screen firmware OTA (over the air). Even if you have the latest - doing this fixes most common glitches with touchscreen.

Same goes for the back/return softkey issue many people have, except for that one you do the 'touch key fw update'

Is it normal for this update to stay on the Updating screen for about 20 minutes then the phone almost freezing on my lock screen? Should I connect to my wifi network prior to doing this to ensure the OTA Connection is good?

Also, whilst your input is very valid, I think this is more of a Swype licensing issue than a touchscreen issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones