1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Swype Keyboard

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by MyNamesTooLong, Jan 23, 2011.

1. MyNamesTooLong

MyNamesTooLong Android Expert
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    I decided to download and install this thing. great concept, but...How am I supposed to see what im doing with my big fingers blocking the screen? any other large-thumbed swypers out there with any advice

Advertisement

2. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Android Expert
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    Cary, NC
    It's not great for one handed input. You really need to have one hand holding it, and using the index finger of your other hand.

If you are going for the one-handed deal (hoping that the other hand is not gripping the steering wheel, but whatever) I suggest you use it to hit the mic button and speak what you need to write.

3. Ngo93

Ngo93 Android Enthusiast
    None

Actually it's very comfortable using Swype with 1 hand for me. Just use the thumb of that hand to swipe through the letters, feels perfectly natural. But to each his own I guess.

But TC, it's a lot easier if you are familiar with a standard keyboard. But really that's the only advice I can think of is to try to get more familiar with it.

4. jimdroid

jimdroid Android Expert
    None

Oct 31, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Just try to keep using it. And don't let the fact that you can't see the keys stop you; when you are typing on the stock keyboard your fingers block the keys too.

Also, with Swype, you don't have to actually hit all the keys in a word, you just need to come close.

I love it for one handed typing, but YMMV.

5. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Android Expert
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    Cary, NC
    I wish it worked like that for me. I'm using an Evo, so the keyboard is comparatively larger due to the increased screen... however my thumb is still the width of 4 letters on the keyboard.

Like the OP, I just can't swype accurately one-handed due to my large hands. It's still the best keyboard IMO, and I wouldn't use anything else... but using it one-handed causes too many errors and is thus much more trouble than it's worth.:(

6. pwabbit

pwabbit Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 19, 2009
    I am using Slide-It on my Evo and it seems to be able to do one thumb texting. I had to finally give up on Swype or I was going to throw my Evo through a wall. Maybe I will give it another try once they get it out of beta. It just creates too many errors for me.

7. RideZeLitenin

RideZeLitenin Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 11, 2011
    Nebraska
    Slide-it is what I use, works absolutely great, despite the fact that I have fat fingers and a "smaller than usual" touch screen.

One tip that I learned - don't try to be too precise. It pretty much finds the words for ya. Very handy once you know how to use it.

8. berky93

berky93 Newbie
    None

Sep 11, 2010
    The thing about swype is you kinda have to remember where the keys are. The old "search and poke" method of typing doesnt work so well with it. try holding the phone in one hand and using the index finger of the other hand for awhile, and soon enough you'll get it down. It's a learning curve that I think is definitely worth it.

9. mycaermita

mycaermita Member
    None

Jan 29, 2011
    I used this keyboard for a while and then I got annoyed by it. See, I use more of my native language than english and sometimes I tend to use shortcuts as well, so it didn't work well for me.

10. Pinmac1

Pinmac1 Android Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2011
    UK
    As a new Android user I installed Swype and loved it. Took a few days getting used to it and just when I thought I had, it stopped working. Despite Swype being selected as the Input Method it refuses to Swype and just offers the standard input. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it worked a couple of times them same thing. Any ideas please?

11. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Android Expert
    None

Nov 11, 2010
    Student
    Swype, IMO, is for the person that has the qwerty keyboard layout more or less memorized. It can't really be a faster method of input otherwise.