1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Swype now officially available on Android as a Beta

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by daffyduck, Mar 5, 2010.

1. vikingisson

vikingisson Android Expert
    None

Either that or the fact that Shapewriter does the same thing. Can't decide which one I like better. For now having Shapewriter in the market for updates is winning. Either way, this makes it much easier for us old folks.

Advertisement

2. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Extreme Android User
    None

Shape writer its good but of haute the setup. Out takes up to much space

3. cortez.i

cortez.i Newbie
    None

Jun 11, 2009
    program manager
    north texas
    after reinstalling i can do the same... there is something in my device setup though that is triggering the "limited notification message" after a reboot/power up (e.g., using the Desire ROM?). from that point forward, all i can do is type - no swyping. a reinstall fixes this, but it is a pia. :rolleyes:

4. RayKinStL

RayKinStL Member
    None

Jan 7, 2010
    When I installed, I got it working. I wanted to make sure it was going to "stick" as the default keyboard so I restarted my phone. When it booted back up, I got the error message "The Swype package installed is configured for another device and will operate with limited functionality. Please contact Swype about this issue."

Has anyone else run into this?

5. cortez.i

cortez.i Newbie
    None

Jun 11, 2009
    program manager
    north texas
    see the post above yours;)

6. RayKinStL

RayKinStL Member
    None

Jan 7, 2010
    So are you saying that every time I restart my phone, a reinstall is required for it to work properly? If so, I'd prefer to go back to the leaked beta version I had since that worked wonderfully!

I am on stock Android...no rooting or Desire ROM. When I open Handcent to send a message, the Swype keyboard comes up. When I swype though, it makes a beeping sound (like when you hold delete down to delete an entire word) and nothing gets entered. This needs a solution ASAP!

7. RayKinStL

RayKinStL Member
    None

Jan 7, 2010
    Interesting development...yes, in like 2 minutes...lol

On a whim, I went in to Advanced Task Killer and killed the Swype app (normally it is on my Exclude) list. This manual "restarting" of Swype seems to have fixed it, and when I reopened Handcent, it seems to be working fine. So for others experiencing this issue after a restart, just kill the app and let it reboot. I'll post if I notice more weirdness.

Worthwhile changes in my opinion would be to make long pressing the "Return" key bring up voice input, and long pressing the SYM key go right to the nice square number input keyboard, instead of having to press SYM and then long press SYM. This way the SYM key could go two different places with either a regular press or a long press. Other than those two minor things, I think it looks great. The UI enhancements are nice...much more polished.

Bob Loblaw1 likes this.
  8. cortez.i

cortez.i Newbie
    None

Jun 11, 2009
    program manager
    north texas
    yep, this is the reduced functionality! i hope this is a bug, if not, i'll be going back to the leaked version.

EDIT: looks like i can delete the file from /data/app then push/copy it back instead of manual uninstall/reinstall to regain swype functionality.

9. deadite66

deadite66 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 4, 2009
    i had that had too uninstall/reboot/install fixed it, also just had a bug where nothing was typed but affected the android kb too. reboot sorted it, never had that before.

10. RayKinStL

RayKinStL Member
    None

Jan 7, 2010
    Guys you overlooked my last message...

On a whim, I went in to Advanced Task Killer and killed the Swype app (normally it is on my Exclude) list. This manual "restarting" of Swype seems to have fixed it, and when I reopened Handcent, it seems to be working fine. So for others experiencing this issue after a restart, just kill the app and let it reboot. I'll post if I notice more weirdness.

Just get a task killer program so you can manually kill the task when it autoruns at start up and let it start again when you open a program that requires a keyboard and it should function properly. Very easy fix! Much easier than uninstalling and reinstalling...lol

11. cortez.i

cortez.i Newbie
    None

Jun 11, 2009
    program manager
    north texas
    i didn't overlook your suggestion, just wanted a different solution. finally settled on this method: once the "limited" functionality" message appears, i change the input method to something else, type one word and change the input method back to Swype and i'm good to go. in the end 2 different methods (kill it OR change the input method) that achieve the same result. let's hope this is resolved soon! :D

12. bighead

bighead Newbie
    None

Dec 29, 2009
    has anyone gotten a "your trial period has ended" message?

13. Rix

None

Nov 8, 2009
    Just got that now. Can't use swype anymore. It still lets me tap, but no actual swyping.

14. RayKinStL

RayKinStL Member
    None

Jan 7, 2010
    The leaked version or the beta version? This might be another reason to go back to the leaked version. The people at Swype are really pissing me off with the way they are handling things. They need to realize they are selling a KEYBOARD REPLACEMENT and not the fountain of youth. Put your damn app on the market and be done with it.

15. Rix

None

Nov 8, 2009
    its happening on my leaked version.

I hope they release it officially.

16. Rix

None

Nov 8, 2009
    swype isn't in the list for advanced task killer (or in the ignore list). Why?

17. grainysand

grainysand Android Expert
    None

Feb 4, 2010
    I reinstalled Swype, then disabled its auto-startup in Startup Auditor. No more "limited functionality" warning and it now works after a reboot. Here's hoping this sticks.

18. daffyduck

daffyduck Guest
    None
    If this happens to my version of Swype, stuff them.

It ain't that great actually & I keep going back to a standard keyboard.

19. Rusty

Rusty Android Expert
    None

Jan 21, 2010
    Pompey, UK
    I can still Swype, no message about it ending yet.

20. Laxe

Laxe Member
    None

Jan 14, 2010
    Mobile Phone Related
    Brighton, UK
    Just uninstalled the leak and installed the beta. Works fine! Love the small UI changes! No message of a trial being ended yet but I don't expect it to show.

21. Rix

None

Nov 8, 2009
    just restarted my n1. after getting and using the beta version (after i uninstalled the leaked version)

"This version of swype is configured to work with another device and will work with limited functionality" NYARGH

edit: tried the trick with first typing with another keyboard. it works again, hoorah

22. JJBlade

JJBlade Newbie
    None

Feb 23, 2010
    Is it safe for SWYPE to be storing our online passwords etc?

23. daffyduck

daffyduck Guest
    None
    I wouldn't.

24. Esquire1

Esquire1 Member
    None

Jan 7, 2010
    Gave me problems upon start up so I reinstalled the leaked version. I don't want to waste my time with "fixes" when the leaked one worked just fine.

Things I noticed about the Beta that aren't in the leaked: Auto capitalization, keyboard vibrate.

For others, you can find the leaked, and working, one here: Swype Beta Keyboard with fix for resolution pop-up - xda-developers

edit: Wow, the leaked one isn't working anymore. Going to do the Input Method change method with the Beta now.

25. Bob Loblaw1

Bob Loblaw1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 29, 2010
    The OC
    Worked perfectly. Thanks! Now I just hope it keeps working.

Tags: