• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Swype on Evo 4G, on Evo 3D? [yes]

BlackDynamite

Android Expert
May 6, 2010
So like many of you, I use Swype on my Evo 4G. It's unfortunately not available in the market, and isn't included with the Evo 3D.

What are you guys planning to replace Swype with? I honestly can't even imagine going to a "normal" keyboard where you have to "tap" each key.

Things I like about swype are:
Obviously the "swyping" style of sliding instead of typing.
When you "swype" from the swype key to the sym key, you get directional arrows, copy, cut, paste, select text, etc.
Easy to add and remove words form the dictionary.

What are your plans for a keyboard?

keep in mind, the EVO 4G did not originally come with Swype... it was included in an OTA update a month or three later. Perhaps the same will happen with the 3vo. I know that dosent help you upon the 3vo's launch, but just something to keep in mind... it could come shortly after... if history repeats itself.

No, HTC already said they won't be putting Swype on any more devices. Instead, they are developing their own keyboard.

By the way guys- Swype is listed in Beta because they have no intentions of ever putting it on the market. They only plan to sell to OEMs. It's listed in Beta just to keep the pressure on OEMs to buy it and include it on the stock ROM. But they have no intention of ever selling it on the Android Market.

Upvote 0
I currently have a Optimus V with Virgin Mobile and will be coming to Sprint with the Evo 3D on the 24th. While I was a big fan of Swype and SlideIt I have settled with Swift Key. The program takes all your social media as well as your gmail and sms texts and then works it's magic to predict what your going to type next. While it's not 100% I really enjoy it a lot.

Basically I type just a couple letters and then it will give me 3 options and then I select it. It's really faster than swype for me anyway. Here's a couple videos from them. And no I don't rep the company. I just like the keyboard.

YouTube - ‪SwiftKey - Type faster on Google Android phones‬‏

YouTube - ‪SwiftKey X - The evolution of the keyboard‬‏

Upvote 0
I currently have a Optimus V with Virgin Mobile and will be coming to Sprint with the Evo 3D on the 24th. While I was a big fan of Swype and SlideIt I have settled with Swift Key. The program takes all your social media as well as your gmail and sms texts and then works it's magic to predict what your going to type next. While it's not 100% I really enjoy it a lot.

Basically I type just a couple letters and then it will give me 3 options and then I select it. It's really faster than swype for me anyway. Here's a couple videos from them. And no I don't rep the company. I just like the keyboard.

http://androidforums.com/"http...KoEf8&feature=player_embedded#at=17"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6poOrKoEf8

YouTube - ‪SwiftKey X - The evolution of the keyboard‬‏

I used swipe for quite a while until swiftkey started it's original beta. I gave it a try and now I only use swiftkey. The newest version is great. I would say that it predicts 90% of the words 5 letters or less by the 2nd letter and it's auto correction is really good too.

Upvote 0
I used swipe for quite a while until swiftkey started it's original beta. I gave it a try and now I only use swiftkey. The newest version is great. I would say that it predicts 90% of the words 5 letters or less by the 2nd letter and it's auto correction is really good too.

Same here. Swiftkey is by far the best keyboard I've used so far. I absolutely love having the directional arrows option. Some keyboards may offer that now but for the longest I had a difficult time finding one that had a layout I liked with that option.

Upvote 0
Stock keyboards get the job done well enough, but ones you can get from the Market just make stock look poor. I use SwiftKey X Beta, myself, and it works great. FlexT9 is a great substitute to Swype. SwiftKey has a rock-solid prediction and autocorrect system. I'm fairly certain you could send drunk texts with SwiftKey and not end up on 'autocorrect fail' the next day.

I used to use Swype, but it really annoyed me how I couldn't remove any words from their default dictionary.

Upvote 0
I found this article, it appears HTC is working on their own Swype style keyboard, called HTC Trace.

HTC Sensation To Ship With ‘HTC Trace’ – A Swype Style Keyboard | Android News, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets - Android Police

This is apparently part of Sense 3.0 and is shipped on the HTC Sensation, so we may see something similar on the Evo3D. Of course it would be helpful if there was a demo model of the phone available, as it is being shipped, so we could verify exactly what is included and how any HTC keyboards would actually work...

Upvote 0
...Swype is listed in Beta because they have no intentions of ever putting it on the market. They only plan to sell to OEMs. It's listed in Beta just to keep the pressure on OEMs to buy it and include it on the stock ROM. But they have no intention of ever selling it on the Android Market.

I've heard that same thing for quite some time now, ever since it was originally released. This is somewhat of a dumb decision from my standpoint, why not produce an app and make even more money off your software, that many people obviously like and is popular? That way in addition to any OEM licenses, you would be able to sell millions more licenses for any other devices that dont' come with it shipped.

Seems like their severely limiting their possible revenue streams by only sticking to OEM. Unless they are getting tons of $ from it, which if that's the case that would explain why HTC said forget that we'll just make our own so they can save the license fees.

Upvote 0
The word out on "HTC Trace" is that is sucks, so I wouldn't get my hopes up on it being something that makes you forget about swype.

True, but provided that Swype is NOT included on the 3D and isn't offered by HTC or on the Android Market, there isn't any legal option but to forget about Swype.

It's either make use of what HTC ships with the phone (being it HTC Trace or something else), or we'll need to get something else from the Android Market. Are there other keyboards on the Android Market that work as well or better then Swype? Curious what they cost and what people think of them?

Edit: I correct myself. I see you can enroll in the "beta" program directly through the Swype website, and you can then legally download the keyboard to your phone. So doing this is legal and isn't breaking any licensing laws, and it appears you can do this for any Android device.

Upvote 0
True, but provided that Swype is NOT included on the 3D and isn't offered by HTC or on the Android Market, there isn't any legal option but to forget about Swype.

It's either make use of what HTC ships with the phone (being it HTC Trace or something else), or we'll need to get something else from the Android Market. Are there other keyboards on the Android Market that work as well or better then Swype? Curious what they cost and what people think of them?

FlexT9 Keyboard. Was the Amazon Free App of the Day a while back. Very solid keyboard. It's $5 in the Market.

Upvote 0
What is the deal with swype? why is it illegal to get it off of the website?

I am very new to this, so if this is faux pas to ask, then just ignore.

Initially I thought the only way you could get Swype was via OEM, but apparently Swype offers their "beta" keyboard and you can download it directly from their website onto nearly any Android device.

Swype | Text Input for Screens

So this appears to be a legal way to obtain Swype for your device if it was not shipped via OEM. The only drawbacks are that since this is "beta" it isn't fully functional, and is only good for 4 months before you need to get the latest "beta" version. Go to the Swype beta site above via the link, and there is a FAQ section at the bottom that gives more details.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones