• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SWYPE on the EVO?

I'm new to Swype but I like it. I do find that on certain words/slang I have to type the word out. No big deal.

Any word that is not in Swype's dictionary you only have to type in once, after you hit the spacebar, Swype will automatically add it to your dictionary. The bad thing is you have to type accurately the first time, or you'll have a misspelled word in your dictionary. :)

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Can anyone help,I have swipe for my HTC evo and need to remove it. I went to my setting and can't figure out how to remove it .

You cannot remove the built in version of Swype. You CAN however, switch back to the stock keyboard. Just long press in a text input box and choose Input Method and then choose the stock keyboard. :)

Upvote 0
BTW, now that Swype comes with the stock ROM, I consider it legal for me to copy out the apk and lib file and copy it back in to any ROM I decide to try on my phone. If you are a swype fan, but you want it as part as your favorite non-stock ROM, here's how to do it:

Starting from the stock 3.70.x ROM and using root explorer, a terminal emulator, PuTTY, etc, copy Swype.apk from /system/app to somewhere on your SD card. Copy libSwypeCore.so from /system/lib onto your SD card.

Now, flash your custom ROM/nandroid of your custom ROM. Copy those two files from your SD card back to those same locations. Reboot. Now you'll have swype available on the custom ROM. Works for Sense-based as well as AOSP ROMs.

Upvote 0
i am using warm Z with the new sense.. i will tell you how it is done on my phone.. hope it is same on yours.

homescreen > menu > language and keyboard > touch input > Personal dictionary > edit personal dictionary

menu > delete
this will give you your list of words with a grey x next to each word.
select words that you wish to delete..
click OK when ready.

Reactions: aeiou
Upvote 0
i am using warm Z with the new sense.. i will tell you how it is done on my phone.. hope it is same on yours.

homescreen > menu > language and keyboard > touch input > Personal dictionary > edit personal dictionary

menu > delete
this will give you your list of words with a grey x next to each word.
select words that you wish to delete..
click OK when ready.

Thanks, but that didnt help. It took me to words in my touch keyboard dictionary but not the swype dictionary.

Upvote 0
How do I delete words from my library? Everytime I try to follow the instructions it does nothing. I hate that somehow it has the word "ghats" when I got to type in "that's"...I'm like where did "ghats" come from. When I highlight it to delete it, nothing happens.

you highlight it, press the swype button (bottom left-hand, next to "sym") and it should bring up a dialog asking if your'e sure you want to delete the highlighted word from your dictionary

for a while, this would randomly not work for me, but changing the input from swype to stock keyboard and then back to swype seemed to clear any errors and everything worked again.. after the last skype update it started working more consistently

Upvote 0
you highlight it, press the swype button (bottom left-hand, next to "sym") and it should bring up a dialog asking if your'e sure you want to delete the highlighted word from your dictionary

for a while, this would randomly not work for me, but changing the input from swype to stock keyboard and then back to swype seemed to clear any errors and everything worked again.. after the last skype update it started working more consistently

Dude, ive tried that so many times. This only happened on the Swype version from sprint that came with the update. All the other versions i used did this with no problem

Upvote 0
Will SWYPE work on the EVO? I was wondering if anyone already has it on your EVO and if so can you share your experience with it.

I rooted my phone back in December using unrEVOked...before the root, I had a trial of Swype and it lasted like 3 weeks. After I rooted with unrEVOked, I had a full version of Swype...as far as I know, it's full lol

My cousin has an unrooted Evo and she has Swype. I'm pretty sure she didn't download it either...I think it came in an update.

EDIT: OOPS! lol It works great. Hers is better than mine though...but it's cool although both of ours make lots of mistakes. Like I will write "I am going to the store." And it may write "I am going to the dtore" or something so make sure it's writing what you want.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I think it's overrated considerably. I can " peck " most words in 2 seconds and some in shorter time. For me it makes things slower or keeps it at the same speed. It's awesome technology... for lazy people (meant lightheartedly, so don't be offended).

Sure; BUT Swype supports "peck" typing input too.
For long winded text i use the voice recognition; which Swype also supports.

Now i have three ways to enter text: peck, Swype, and voice

but who am i ??

Upvote 0
Ok.. Just got my evo, checked all the areas for updates but my phone says everything is up to date, however it did not come with swype I had to install my tester version... Whyyyyy?

I'm sure it was there. In a text area, what you need to do is a long press and you would have gotten the option to use the "touch input" or "swype".

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones