• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Swype on the LG Connect 4G

nsguy1350

Aug 8, 2012
Hello everyone. I've read all the Swype threads I could find on the forums, but I'm still not clear on what's going on, exactly.

The problem is that Swype is ridiculous in its usage of my battery. It's usually around 60-70% (and this is not heavy texting.) A few days ago, I was shocked to see it register 97% (newly charged, texted only a few messages and then saw that. Ridiculous.) I saw the battery usage graph and even when left locked for extended periods of time, I see a consistent, continuous decrease in my battery life, so Swype must be running in the background (I would guess. If its the primary contributor to my battery drain, it must be the main cause.)

My Connect drains too fast. I can't use it throughout the day (I have to charge twice a day sometimes, and I am not streaming video on it for hours or anything. I get on the web sporadically and text, not for very long either, with a couple calls, and a few minutes of a few other things.) I was thinking about buying a second battery (I do NOT want an extended battery) but I wanted to see what I could do. Yes, I have Juice Defender, and it only registers about a 1.4x increase normally (In fact, now it's at 1.26x.)

I love Swype, although I am still fairly inaccurate with it. I do not want to switch out of Swype. I also do not want to root my phone, even if I have to take the bloatware. Suggestions please?

The swype at high usage is due to a bug in the phone where it reads many keyboards as very high battery usage. I currently get great life out of my phone now but its rooted, debloated, and i use jd and a cpu govnor. It's not draining your phone any more than it should it's just a bug. This has been confirmed over and over in the root forum just so you know its not just my opinion.

Upvote 0
turn off 4g and wifi and only turn them on when you need to be connected to the net. if you need to be connected to the net use wifi instead of 4g if possible.

turn all animations off by going into user settings.

get a spare battery.

the stock battery is crap, especially if you're not rooted and cant underclock. good luck.

Upvote 0
turn off 4g and wifi and only turn them on when you need to be connected to the net. if you need to be connected to the net use wifi instead of 4g if possible.

turn all animations off by going into user settings.

get a spare battery.

the stock battery is crap, especially if you're not rooted and cant underclock. good luck.

What is underclock? And what exactly will rooting the phone do with my battery life? Will it disable background apps?

And thanks to jeff for clearing that up, I believe I have seen that before but I just wanted confirmation. Thanks!

Upvote 0
If you're getting your battery stats from the built in feature on your phone they are not accurate. However, unfortunately swype is a battery hog & I hated giving it up. I use smart keyboard 3 now & would never go back to swype for any reason. I use tsf shell launcher but it's kinda pricey. Before that I used launcher pro plus. With that & I believe adw you never need anything like anycut because it basically has it built in. If you are going to change launchers I would keep that in mind.

Anna

Upvote 0
What is underclock? And what exactly will rooting the phone do with my battery life? Will it disable background apps?

And thanks to jeff for clearing that up, I believe I have seen that before but I just wanted confirmation. Thanks!

underclocking is running your phone at lower mhz. you dont need to be running at full blast for all your tasks so it allows you to save battery by running at only necessary capacities.

you can disable backgrounddata in user settings.

or, again, you can keep everything as is and use your phone the way you are using it now and just buy a spare battery and keep it on hand.

google "BL-44JN"

Upvote 0
So, Swype really is a battery killer? Could you tell me what keyboards are the best, in your opinion, along with reasons why? Right now I just see a bunch of keyboard names thrown around without a clear suggestion. What are the pros and cons of these, and if I don't use Swype, will it do anything to my battery?

Upvote 0
IMO I would suggest Smartkeyboard pro(they have a trial version too). Swype is good too but I feel it eats a good amount of ram for me(I like to have a good amount of ram).

Pros: has themes but not like the other keyboards, easy to keyboard layout(makes it easy to text for me), gestures, and lots of options.

Cons: can't think of any.

Reactions: BlueMuscles
Upvote 0
I like the smoothness of Swype. Is that a keyboard that uses similar technology? I would rather not go to the regular kind of keyboard. The optimal keyboard would be one that makes entering easiest (especially dragging technology) and reduces battery drainage the most. Other things are not a important to me themes and such.

Upvote 0
I downloaded SwiftKey and it seems pretty nice! The autocorrect feature is great. There are a few minor things that I dislike, but nothing significant. Would it be worth buying the full version in the month, over Swype?

It's worth it & over time you will see that a lot of times you only have to type in the first letter & your word comes up.

Upvote 0
I like swype , Battery hog or not , It is great . As a secondary , ICS Keyboard

For you I recommend Smart Keyboard , Slide Keyboard , or search "Keyboard" in the Play Store , I feel dumb for not writing more but , Whatever... Bye

Just a bit bored at the moment

-Mike from Verizon Wireless at Peabody , MA
"Verizon is the true #1 carrier of the USA covering 98% of Americans , Introducing the new SHAREverything plan , See online for more details , Only at Select Stores"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones