• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

blackepoxy

Android Expert
Jan 14, 2011
Dirty South, Louisiana
I have a quick question since this thread is on the topic of texting.Does the droid incredible 2 come straight out of the box with swype installed.(like pre-loaded)
I am a current centennial wireless customer in louisiana that verizion is taking over on July 31st they are sending me htc droid incredible 2 (absolutely free) to replace my gsm htc wildfire.
Thanks in advance!!!

I have Swype installed on my DINC 2 (which you have to get directly from Swype since it's not available on the Android market).

Several times so far, Swype will just stop working. I can still see the "trace lines" while using the keyboard, but no words comes up -- either in the suggestion box or inserted into the text.

The only way I can fix this is to go to settings and disable Swype.
Then I have to launch the Swype installer app from "All Apps" / Enable Swype / Select Swype / and then it starts working again. At least for a while anyway...

Anyone else experiencing this problem or have a fix they can suggest?

Upvote 0
The same thing happens to me too, I just touch and hold the text field until "input method" comes up. I choose that and change the keyboard to something else and then back to Swype again, it's a pain but it works for now. It has this issue every few days.

I've been having to do this since using swype on my Eris and my original incredible, but, it does fix the issue. I haven't found a pattern as to how/when/why it occurs.

Upvote 0
I was having the same problem with the latest Swype beta on my Inc 2. At some point Swype would stop working right and would only let me input text by tapping individual keys. To fix it I could switch "Input Method" away from and back to Skype, but it was annoying to do it several times a day, so I ended up paying a few bucks for the SlideIT keyboard instead; it works almost exactly like Swype and is more reliable.

Upvote 0
First of all, try settings> language & keyboards> check the box with swype, it should be there, then go to the touch input settings at the bottom of the same menu and make sure it is set to >keyboard types> QWERTY, that should do it.
You can also long press in the blank space when composing a message and it should give you swype as an option to use.
Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-incredible-2/336470-swype-problem.html
If you have not read this already.Maybe it is because it is a beta version.I am disappointed to hear this because swype is all I have ever used for text input on android..Verizon will be sending me my dinc 2 in about 6 weeks to replace my htc wildfire on centennial, because they bought them out in my area.I was really looking forward to using swype on it.I hope this problem gets resolved before then.

Upvote 0
I spoke too soon - every time I reboot I have to go back in and select swype as the input method. Annoying.
Plus on the DroidX the smiley button was on the keyboard but here you have to hit the menu button, go into 'more' and hit 'insert smiley' then click the smiley you want to use. Very annoying after getting used to having them right on the keyboard.

Upvote 0
I have a droid x. It comes with my phone and I still have it. (I am also a beta tester for swype btw, from when I had the Droid Incredible).

Here's the deal. You don't NEEEEEEED Swype. I found a better keyboard that I use in its place..

You can download it here: FlexT9Keyboard.

It costs 5 bucks but I got it when it was offered for free on Amazon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones