• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Swype problems

dberthia

Nov 18, 2009
I rooted my Bionic, removed the stock version of Swype using TBU, and installed the latest beta version. This all works great until I reboot the phone, then I get constant Swype force closes. If I uninstall and reinstall Swype, it works fine again until I reboot, then I see the problems again.

Any suggestions as to how I can break out of this cycle and have Swype work properly after a reboot?

Thanks for that link. Starting there, I eventually found the solution on Swype's forum. For posterity, here it is:
If you used Titanium Backup like myself to "uninstall" pre-loaded Swype, then this may be the answer to your problem.

It will require you to have a Root Explorer-esque app.

First, uninstall all traces of Beta Swype Installer, and the Swype it tried to install. Then, open your root explorer and change to R/W so you can change some extensions.

Rename: \data\dalvik-cache\system@app@Swype.apk@classes.dex to have a .bak at the end.
Rename: \system\lib\libSwypeCore.so to have a .bak at the end.

Redownload your Beta Swype installer and go forward with the installation of Swype. It worked like a charm for me!

There were those two files left-over that Titanium Backup did not remove for me. If you used the same method to uninstall, then perhaps this will help!

Upvote 0
I am so lost. The problem is i read that original post and it did not work the first time so i think i messed up. What version is the beta version of swype i get confused on tibu now. I promise i am not an idiot i just got exited about better swype and kind of rushed it.
Edit: I figured it out. I just retraced my steps and it works. I love the new version already.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones