• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Swype Sept. update - not installing

bburgdroid

Feb 11, 2010
I'm using an HTC Eris, 2.1 android and launcher pro.

I was invited to install the Swype Seoptember update which requires uninstalling the Installer and the Swype app itself as shown here
https://beta.swype.com/android/welcome/detailed/

I've followed the the exact process described in the beta faq. I've now tried this 10 times and I get all the way to screen #5 but I press and hold a text field and nada... I'm not asked to select an input method. No app and no Swype keyboard.

If I check my apps Swype is NOT showing as being installed.

An office mate is using an Eris, version 2.1 and the standard HTC screens and she's had no luck either.

Help requested! I've posted also on the Swype forum.

There is another thread about this http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/175694-latest-swype-beta.html
But it is interesting that you cannot get it installed at all. Can you write up a step by step of what you are doing? I have had a couple of hiccups installing swype over the different betas (i got in on the original) but nothing like you are describing. If you can do a step by step then maybe i can help.

Upvote 0
Did you get it to work?

Yes, I got v2.4.44 working with English only.

And I also figured out how to theme it again. Ever since v1.60 came out, I had trouble getting the trace path to be a different color, but I figured out why: it's in two places in the libSwypeCore.so library now instead of just one, and you have to uninstall, reboot, and reinstall to get the phone to use the new library.

This time around, I edited the HTC_IME keyboards (created by someone else for v1.25) to use the font that I'm using on my phone:

thenestor-albums-screen-captures-picture2095-snap20100917-113120.png

Unfortunately it's against the rules for me to share this with anyone, but I can share some of the technical knowledge for theming it yourselves if anyone's interested.

Upvote 0
Yes, I got v2.4.44 working with English only.

And I also figured out how to theme it again. Ever since v1.60 came out, I had trouble getting the trace path to be a different color, but I figured out why: it's in two places in the libSwypeCore.so library now instead of just one, and you have to uninstall, reboot, and reinstall to get the phone to use the new library.

This time around, I edited the HTC_IME keyboards (created by someone else for v1.25) to use the font that I'm using on my phone:

thenestor-albums-screen-captures-picture2095-snap20100917-113120.png

Unfortunately it's against the rules for me to share this with anyone, but I can share some of the technical knowledge for theming it yourselves if anyone's interested.

I would love to learn.

Upvote 0
I have the newest version but got a "limited functionality" message on start up, something about it not being compatible with my device. I can't Swype, it traces for me but will not type the word. Instead I get a blue rectangle around the entire keyboard that flashes after I swype.

Any ideas?

Uncheck it from the keyboard settings. Uninstall swype and its installer. Reboot phone. Download fresh installer and then run. Worked for me :)

Upvote 0
Same here with the "limited functionality" message. I installed, but got msg at end of installation that "Swype is already installed on this device." I rebooted, Swype was there in settings (version 2.4.44.10912.t100), but get same exact problem as Romparoo. Can't Swype, only tap. Pretty useless.

Please post if anyone figures out how to get us back up and running. TIA

Upvote 0
I would love to learn.

Basically you take a hacked copy of Swype (no, I will not tell you where to get it), open the APK like a ZIP archive, and edit the images in /assets/keyboards to look however you want (or replace them with keyboards from another version of Swype). The buttons still need to line up right where they already were, of course.

To change the color of the Swype path, you have to open up /lib/armeabi/libSwypeCore.so in a HEX editor, find the existing path color (DDA25B) and replace it with another HEX-coded BGR color (note that it's blue, green, red, NOT red, green, blue--the order of the numbers is reversed). Do the same for 9B6906 (a darker teal, not sure why).

Re-zip and auto-sign, uninstall your existing Swype, reboot, and then install the new one.

Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones