• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Swype themes or different color faceplate

RaFF_MyZZteR

Apr 15, 2010
I've been looking around but can't find anything decently recent on this. Does anyone have a faceplate or theme for swype?? I'm sorta sick of seeing everyone with cool themed keyboards and I'm looking at the nasty design of swype. So far I've justified it with practicality over looks but that line is riding thin.

Another question...can it be themed? I'm part of the beta so I don't have to worry about the signed or trial version and such and would just like to theme over what I have.

Thanks in advance

I've been looking around but can't find anything decently recent on this. Does anyone have a faceplate or theme for swype?? I'm sorta sick of seeing everyone with cool themed keyboards and I'm looking at the nasty design of swype. So far I've justified it with practicality over looks but that line is riding thin.

Another question...can it be themed? I'm part of the beta so I don't have to worry about the signed or trial version and such and would just like to theme over what I have.

Thanks in advance

Pretty much won't find one any more until they make it at least an open beta.

Upvote 0
The themes by Calebv2 at this link work with the new Beta version (.7625): • View topic - Lots of swype themes. You have to be rooted and it is necessary to move the com.swype.android.inputmethod.apk from /data/app to /system/app, then use the new Metamorph to apply the theme.

Be careful when you're looking at these theme links though. The ones pictured at the top of the post are Metamorph themes you can apply to the new Swype beta after you move it to /system/app. The ones in the links are fully themed versions of the older Swype (version .5612), which I believe has expired and won't work anymore.

Here's my themed Swype:

CAP201006042244.jpg

Reactions: YankeeDudeL
Upvote 0
Do I install the metamorph themes by just rebooting and installing it through recovery or do I have to do something else with the .zip file?

Metamorph themes are installed using Metamorph (get it in the Market). And, again, the Swype apk, using exactly the name I detailed above, must be moved from /data/app to /system/app for it to work.

Upvote 0
Ok so after moving the file to the system/app folder my ability to use swype completely disappeared. Doesn't show up under keyboards anymore.

How did you move it? I used Root explorer, navigated to /data/app, where the file was named com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk. I used Root Explorer to rename it to com.swype.android.inputmethod.apk (I was using Swype to rename it and it continued to work the whole way through) and Moved it (it won't work if you Copy, you must use Move) to /system/app. You have to tap the "Mount R/W" button at the top in order to Paste it into /system/app. Then you just tap the "Mount R/O" button at the top and you're ready to use Metamorph. After you apply Metamorph, you're probably going to have to reboot to see the changes to the Swype keyboard.

Upvote 0
This confuses me, because I've used this same Calebv2 Metamorph theme for a couple of months now, on 2.1 ROMs and Froyo ROMs (I'm on BB v0.4 right now), and on the original Swype beta and the new one, and it's worked on every one of them. Here are the steps I take:

1. Install Swype in the usual fashion, which will install it in /data/app. If you tried to move it to /system/app before and it didn't work, then remove all traces of Swype from /system/app and data/data and data/app (and go to Settings>Manage Applications and make sure that neither Swype nor com.swype.android.input method is on the app list there) before installing again in the normal way.

2. Using Root Explorer, go to /data/app and MOVE com.swype.android.inputmethod.apk to /system/app (if it's named anything other than that in /data/app, rename it to exactly com.swype.android.inputmethod.apk before you move it.

3. Once in the /system/app directory, touch the "Mount R/W" button at the top of Root Explorer, then paste the apk. You shouldn't need to change permissions or anything. Then touch the "Mount R/O' button.

4. Open Metamorph and apply the theme, and reboot.

Once I figured out that I should use Root explorer to move the apk to /system/app, and not any other method, this has never failed for me.

Upvote 0
I was so ready to click the "thanks" button when I saw GRL's instructions, but I have tried them 5x via 2 different ROMs and I am always left with the standard Swype keys. Ah well, I like Swype enough to ignore the fact that the buttons don't match the CM6RC1 DroidX w/ Black bar theme currently running...

Upvote 0
I was so ready to click the "thanks" button when I saw GRL's instructions, but I have tried them 5x via 2 different ROMs and I am always left with the standard Swype keys. Ah well, I like Swype enough to ignore the fact that the buttons don't match the CM6RC1 DroidX w/ Black bar theme currently running...

I have to admit that I've never tried to use this with a CM ROM, so I can't vouch for that. Which theme did you try to apply? I'm sure this is a dumb question, but did you reboot after applying the Metamorph theme?

Upvote 0
I have to admit that I've never tried to use this with a CM ROM, so I can't vouch for that. Which theme did you try to apply? I'm sure this is a dumb question, but did you reboot after applying the Metamorph theme?
I originally tried it with Kangerade 4.0.7 and again today with CM6RC1. I'm trying to apply the BlackGlass theme from here. And yes, I did reboot.

Of course, I just noticed that your earlier link points to a whole different set so maybe I'll try one of those similar themes and report back. Have to recharge the phone first though! :)

Upvote 0
I originally tried it with Kangerade 4.0.7 and again today with CM6RC1. I'm trying to apply the BlackGlass theme from here. And yes, I did reboot.

Of course, I just noticed that your earlier link points to a whole different set so maybe I'll try one of those similar themes and report back. Have to recharge the phone first though! :)

Yeah, I haven't tried the themes from the link you point to (but I think I just might). I'll report back and let you know if I was able to make that theme work.

Upvote 0
Sweet! The themes in the link Gurl provided worked on the first try. (Although I'm curious to hear if you have any luck with the themes from XDA's site.)

Upvote 0
Sweet! The themes in the link Gurl provided worked on the first try. (Although I'm curious to hear if you have any luck with the themes from XDA's site.)

Woot! I'm happy you got it working.

I tried the Black Glass from the XDA site twice and it didn't work. Too bad -- I've been looking for a deep black glassed theme with textured-looking keys for a while now, and that one looked like it would be perfect. The Black Glass one from Caleb is just a little too dull for me, so for now I'm sticking with the green one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones