• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help swype version and updating

heshanj

Android Expert
Jun 7, 2011
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
ok im a big fan of swype, but this update that took place a while back.. really messed it up.. i found this post on the swype forum... and i couldnt describe it better myself so here's my biggest issue with this update:

"First issue: suggestions (in case of ambiguous recognision) are being displayed now in a single row above the keys rather than small popup like before... In some cases it causes some kind of annoying jumping of the content where I'm typing"

each time the suggestion row is displayed, the screen resizes, and when its removed, the screen resizes again, and its very jumpy, not smooth at all.

my question is.. im running swype version 3.8.86.28077, on my KH3 firmware. is it the same version that any of u are using?

secondly, if any of u have tried KH4, have u got a new swype version? coz i know there's a new swype beta version, but the SGS2 has preloaded swype, so we gotta wait for firmware to updae swype.. im hoping this is fixed in the new version

and lastly.. does anyone know a way of updating swype without waiting for firmware updates? like, a way to install swype beta, and get the newest updates automatically. or even rollback to an older version!

does anyone know a way of updating swype without waiting for firmware updates?

Can't be done, I'm afraid. Swype is only currently available licensed to OEMs or as a closed beta, so the options are either wait for Samsung to provide an updated version or sign up for the beta test.[/QUOTE]

or even rollback to an older version!
Restore a nandroid backup containing the previous version, copy it to /sdcard, restore your current firmware and replace the new with the old?

Reactions: heshanj
Upvote 0
thanks slug, thats wat i feared.. i dont have a nandroid with the older swype unfortunately.. so i guess im stuck to waiting til samsung includes an update in newer firmware. even if i get the swype beta, they say it doesnt work for devices that come with swype preinstalled, so i have no option but to wait

Riche101, i did.. and its impressive, the accuracy is as good as swype, for sure. however, it seemed to have one feature missing, the double tap to correct. is it something im missing? coz i couldnt find a way to correct a word after i typed it.. which is important to me, coz i always check my words only after ive typed a sentence

Upvote 0
thanks slug, thats wat i feared.. i dont have a nandroid with the older swype unfortunately.. so i guess im stuck to waiting til samsung includes an update in newer firmware. even if i get the swype beta, they say it doesnt work for devices that come with swype preinstalled, so i have no option but to wait

Riche101, i did.. and its impressive, the accuracy is as good as swype, for sure. however, it seemed to have one feature missing, the double tap to correct. is it something im missing? coz i couldnt find a way to correct a word after i typed it.. which is important to me, coz i always check my words only after ive typed a sentence

Well its only just out maybe email them and ask them to add it as a feature

Upvote 0
thanks for the replies everyone. If ur registered for the beta, i still dont think u can install the beta version on devices that came with swype preinstalled, thats wat i read on their site. lets just hope that the newer firmware does include a newer version, i read on xda that someone flashed KH4 and noticed a few changes in swype

Upvote 0
just did it myself, took barely 5min, and thats only coz i made a nandroid backup first :D cheers. the problem i mention is fixed! thank god for that, swype is now officially (to me :D) the best way to type on android! although, i just noticed, i have swype version 3.25 only.. i thought there's like 3.5 or 3.6? anyway, no matter, as it works great now

also, my keyboard 'skin' or 'theme' is quite different to wat i had, and also different to the one i see on the swype website. is there a way i can change this? cant find it on the settings menu etc. i read there's gonna be an update with theme support on swype, but not sure.. wondering if everyone using swype beta has this skin

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones