• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Hi all
One word.....SWYPE! I love it! I was a bit dubious at first, I mean how could it work properly? But it does, god knows how it knows the word you want because you don't even have to be accurate.you can be real sloppy and it gets your word probably 95% of the time and when you get used to it it's just such a damn quick way of writing.
Anyway, I just wanted to say if you haven't tried it give it a go. It doesn't take long to get your head round it, well worth the practice.
Give it a go!!
David
:)

i agree, i laughed at the idea when i first heard it.. and then i tried it. amazing :D only, i wish they stuck to the original word correction style.. where the correction options pop up in a box on top of the screen. the updated swype (maybe ur using this one now too) the bar that opens above the keyboard is ok, but it keeps resizing the window size, and makes the whole feel a bit jumpy. wish i could go back to swype 2, or i hope they fix this

Upvote 0
wow. did you guys get a special version of swype installed just for you? swype on my old galaxy captivate was sloppy in word prediction...sorry...good at first, but got worse and the guy who works for them helped me initially then promised to follow up when it got worse again...and left me high and dry months ago.

now on my new S2 it is baffling how bad it is. i quite often have sentences now where i go back to read and out of lets say..for example...ten words...maybe three or four are right.
more than half are wrong. i am beginning to hate it. the stock keyboard is bad...the ones you download for free or a fee i have tried most and not found them better.

while driving my buddy asked me to text someone for him and it was on his iphone 4 and it almost made me cry...i could sloppily key in words and despite atrocious spelling it not only got the word...it almost eerily would guess at what word made sense to fill the space.

i love android but swype sucks.

Upvote 0
I've got the 'word prediction' box unchecked,i find I don't really need it. Is that what you mean?
D
:)

hmm ive got word suggestion off (dont see anything called prediction) but i believe thats the feature that suggests words before u complete them? u still get the box that corrects a worrd, right? i.e. u type "Hello" and sometmes u get this menu asking if u meant "Jello or Kelli" lol. its useful coz Swype doesnt get my words spot-on 100% of the time, so its necessary, but the old interface was better

Upvote 0
Hi shark
Sorry to hear that. That's weird cause mine works really well. As I'm typing this it's getting every word correct. It's spot on. And as I said I'm write sloppy and it's still getting every word correct.
I've got version 2.72.77.25374.25547.1252OXX
What's yours?
D

ah, ive got v3.7xxxxxx so i guess ur still having the box that im talking about, not the jumpy bar :D good for u, try to avoid the update.

and sharkhark im also sorry to hear that swype wasnt doing it for u. its completely changed the way i type.. speed, accuracy, and.. sorry to sound like a commercial, but its actually fun to type :D

Upvote 0
Hi shark
Sorry to hear that. That's weird cause mine works really well. As I'm typing this it's getting every word correct. It's spot on. And as I said I'm write sloppy and it's still getting every word correct.
I've got version 2.72.77.25374.25547.1252OXX
What's yours?
D
hi, let me look that up right now. it says 3.2.80.25230
does that mean anything to you? let me say this, i had swype on my captivate and it was awesome. then i dont know if it updated to a new version or just went worse and worse on its own, but i had brian reznick a guy who works for them trying to help me and despite all his suggestions, my swype would only temporarily get better than worse and worse. i mean bad.
so i got the new galaxy s2 and assumed it must have a good version of swype. wrong. so far it is horrible. it actually has gotten to the point that if i dont want to have to redo a whole sentence i have to slooooooowly trace back and forth letter to letter and...and...even then it sometimes frustratingly gets it bad.
now...on some words can you swype sloppily and amaze people with how it finds it? yes...but in everyday use..and i am not talking user added words....just normal words...like is....of...the....cat...dog....etc..it doesnt matter what words...i get half of them wrong.
that brian guy from swype promised a resolution then disappeared. so i am on my own.
i want to like it....when i first had my captivate i loved it..but later..hated it...on S2 hate it. if someone has advice or settings, or can explain how to get a newer better version...but mine sucks.

thx for your reply though..i want to love it.

ah, ive got v3.7xxxxxx so i guess ur still having the box that im talking about, not the jumpy bar :D good for u, try to avoid the update.

and sharkhark im also sorry to hear that swype wasnt doing it for u. its completely changed the way i type.. speed, accuracy, and.. sorry to sound like a commercial, but its actually fun to type :D

have you had it long? if you read my reply to other poster above yours...i used to love mine too...its almost like it gets slowly worse. if you have had it a few mths then please some advice....if you are new to it..everybody i know loves it at first..then it goes bad. so only a few mths of use before reviewing is fair.
how long?

Upvote 0
I am using Android 2.3.3 and Swype 2.72.77.25374.25547.1252.OXX
I am a big fan of Swype as I know my way around a keyboard :)

It appears that words you use which are not already in the phone's dictionary are automatically added to it when you use them for the first time.

Unless I am very much mistaken there is no way of deleting words from the dictionary.

At some stage I must have accidentally used "gerty" as a word and this has been added to the dictionary.
Now, nearly every time I swype for the word "get" on the screen it actually displays "gerty".
This is extremely annoying and I wish to be able to delete "gerty" which is obviously not a real word from the dictionary.

Wouldn't it be much better if Swype asked the question "would you like to add this word to the dictionary?" each time you used a new word and also gave you the opportunity to delete words from the dictionary?

Would I be right in thinking that the new version of Android (2.3.4) includes an updated version of Swype and does this new version include all of the above additions?

If not then b0ll0cks :D

Upvote 0
Perhaps I should give it a second try. I really couldn't get used to the swiping thing - it felt awkward and too often I hit the neighbouring keys instead of the one I was aiming for. And whenever I ended up with a wrong word - which happened often because of clumsy fingers or lousy interpretation by Swype - going back and correcting it felt cumbersome (although it's possible I just hadn't read the instructions properly on how to best do that).

I'm a lot faster and more accurate with SwiftKey X - using the horizontal layout and both thumbs if I have to type more than a few words.

Upvote 0
@hawker...... That's a good tip, cheers. In the swype section of the settings there is a pretty comprehensive help section that I would recommend anyone to check out.
One of the great things about swype is that you don't even have to be accurate when using the keyboard. Sometimes I
look back at the line I've made and it's all over the place but it still manages to get the word correct. God knows how it works but it does for me, as I said nearly 100% of the time.
This post took me seconds to type.
Anyway, enough of that, I'm starting to sound like an ad for swype!!
David

Upvote 0
Ah....thanks hawker and others.

I have also discovered that if you go to settings>applications>manage applications (all)>Swype you can "clear data".
I believe that will remove any words added to the "swype" dictionary.

However, "Gerty" appears to be in the "ROM" dictionary and impossible to remove :mad:

There are plenty of others on the internet complaining about this "word" appearing when they swype for "get" LOL

Upvote 0
I love Swype. Been using it on my symbian phone (Sony Ericsson Satio) for some time so was really happy to find it already on my new S II when I picked it up last week. Hiowever, I have to be honest and say I find it more difficult on the new phone than I did on my old one and thats even with the bigger screen and therefore bigger keyboard. There seem to be some odd words in the dictionay too.. Ghats always comes up instead of thats... it doesn't even come up when you select it and hit the swype key for an alternative. I also find that deleting words is a bit hit and miss as sometimes it alows you to while others it doesn't. That was the same with my symbian version too though. I still ove it though and as has been said elsewhere it makes typing so much more fun :)
My version is 2.70.75.22981.22983.663.OXX

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones