1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Swype's Hidden Word Tip Notification being removed.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Anthony2816, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Anthony2816

Anthony2816 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Brian Resnik from Swype posted today: "I can now confirm that the Hidden Word notification window has been completely removed from all future versions of Swype. Next beta update is coming soon."

"'Hidden' Word" Tip Notification

So how do we upgrade Swype? Does that have to come from a Verizon update, or can it be done on our own?

Advertisement

2. 3cutiger

3cutiger Member
    None

Sep 16, 2010
    From what I have read, the only way to upgrade swype manually is if you downloaded it seperately, ie wasn't native on your phone to begin with. I've seen a couple of messages on swypes message board at thier website of users specifically warning against downloading an upgrade over existing swype if it came with your phone as it will mess up the whole thing. I'm guessing the only upgrades to swype for us will come via OTAs from Verizon.

Which stinks b/c I am getting "hidden words" that no one in their right mind would have ever created. They aren't ones that I have inputed in the past, don't know where they came from.

Anthony2816 likes this.
  3. MonkeyGrass

MonkeyGrass Member
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Musician/IT
    Yeah that whole "hidden word" thing is a disaster.

As is the complete lack of an editable user dictionary (which itself would solve 80% of the hidden word pop ups by allowing us to manually edit the dictionary).

The main issue I see with it is that it adds EVERYTHING to the user dictionary. Even partials and weird one-offs when you are correcting a misspell or typing something non-standard. If it only added whole, typed words to the user db - most of this problem would be solved by itself. They need to fix this, it's the only real problem with how Swype works. And I LOVE me some swype - I wouldn't use a touchscreen phone without it.

Those "non-words" that keep showing up are the result of backspacing and finishing a misspell or inaccurate word guess.

4. Anthony2816

Anthony2816 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    It also irritates me that it will save my passwords. Type the first letter, and the whole password appears.

It is, in fact, possible to add and delete words from the dictionary. To delete a word, type it into a text box, double tap the word to select it, and then single-tap the Swype key.

I did that for the password in question, and indeed, it didn't pop up after entering the first letter. However, once I finished typing it in manually, boom, it was put back in the dictionary. Sigh.

5. MonkeyGrass

MonkeyGrass Member
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Musician/IT
    Yes, we know you can add/remove words one at a time, by typing it, then doubletapping, then swype key. Which is a total, complete PITA when you are in the middle of an email or txt and all you would like to do is type a reply with actual words, and not gibberish that Swype auto-adds to a dictionary file that we can't access. Really don't feel like typing words I didn't want into a message, then hit 3 more taps/swypes to remove it from a dictionary that ought to be editable.

I'm talking about a standard flat file or db file that is editable in bulk. As in, open a spreadsheet and do wholesale edits/adds/removes all at once so your dictionary is accurate. Honestly, you should also have to select a typed word THEN Swype it to add it to your dictionary in the first place. Auto-adding every single letter/number/word that's typed in is a recipe for this type of problem.

Not to mention, your problem with passwords (spot on) - that illustrates exactly what I'm saying here... Even if you go thru the 4 tap process to remove a word from your dictionary, Swype will add it back as soon as you type it again. In other words, jumping thru those silly little hoops to delete an entry is utterly pointless.

Not to mention, when upgrading or flashing a ROM, all of your custom entries are gone and you start all over with a fresh file. Which blows, quite frankly. There is no good reason that we can't save/export/modify our user dictionary from version to version and avoid having to painfully recreate your library every time we upgrade or flash.

6. s44

s44 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 1, 2010
    Titanium can save Swype data easily.

If you're rooted, you can also swap to the latest Swype files from Superclean 2.x or any other EB01 deodex.

7. oneiztoomany

oneiztoomany Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 3, 2010
    cant wait to that pop up goes away, what a major flaw. also adding all the mispelled words to dictionary sucks big time. i wish there was a way to turn that off and only stick with a standard dictionary, or add new words manually.