1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Sync between markets?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by thecarlsoncrew, May 4, 2012.

1. thecarlsoncrew

thecarlsoncrew Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 29, 2010
    I have three Android markets (Google Play, Amazon, and GetJar) on my Maxx. A chronic source of irritation is that those markets try to claim apps that have been downloaded from more than one source. For example, I downloaded and used the free version of QuickOffice from Google Play (i.e. it was the Android Market back then) for several months until the Amazon store offered the full version as its "free app of the day", so I grabbed it there instead. But...Google Play still claims the app and tries to update it (but it errors out due to not purchasing it through Google Play, of course). I have tried to limit the amount of overlap between markets as much as possible, but there are still a handful that are constantly erroring out, especially during mass updates.

Is there a way to stop this?

I'm open to settings changes, third party apps, or any other possible solution to this annoyance, so any guidance would be most welcome!

Advertisement

2. BabyBlues

BabyBlues Trouble Just Finds Me!
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Female
    Masquerading as a responsible adult
    Jersey - born & bred
    If you have a duplicate app you need to install the one that you don't want from whichever market you had it on.
    In the case of QuickOffice - go into the Market/Play and uninstall so that the Amazon one is the only one the phone sees. That's the case for a couple of my apps as well and I learned this by trial and error. Each market plays by it's own rules and they don't co-exist as far as app updates, unfortunately.

3. thecarlsoncrew

thecarlsoncrew Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 29, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestion, but that doesn't appear to work consistently. QuickOffice was the first example I could think of, but it's strangely behaving now for no reason that I can think of (I hadn't made any changes yet). Still, other apps are experiencing the same problem.

Take Flixster, for instance. I had originally downloaded it from Play, but I also use it on my Kindle Fire so I have it on my Amazon account, and my Amazon app store constantly thinks it needs to be updated. I uninstalled it from my Play app list, installed it from my Amazon market, then went back into Play. It's back, and Play thinks it needs to be updated now - it appears that an update in one market tells the other market that a new update is needed.

Anyway, the same thing happens with Angry Birds, too (though only on Rio, not the others).

Is this just a chronic conflict that we'll have to live with?

4. BabyBlues

BabyBlues Trouble Just Finds Me!
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Female
    Masquerading as a responsible adult
    Jersey - born & bred
    Unfortunately it might be. I guess I'm lucky that things I have from one don't interfere with the other.

5. mahers

mahers Android Expert
    None

Apr 2, 2010
    Male
    Product Manager
    Concord, CA
    Yeah, for some reason AB Rio is showing up every day on both Play and Amazon as needing an update. Oddly, both let me complete the update and say it was done, but when I go to check for updates, there it is again. So damn weird.

There are other apps that do this too. If I use AppBrain to sync, it tells me I have N apps to update, and will automatically take me to the Play Store since it doesn't know where I got them. Play definitely gets updates ahead of the others. I dumped GetJar as it was always doing crap in the background and I couldn't figure out why. When I need an app from there, I will reload it, but for now it's gone...plus they are the last place to get updates since devs would rather get full payment than see us freeloaders go thru GJ ;)