1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

sync, but NOT contacts!

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by RrTT, Sep 25, 2017.

1. RrTT

RrTT Newbie
    None

Jul 9, 2017
    Female
    minnesota
    i am wanting to sync the MAIL from my gmail account across multiple devices. (s6, lg g-pad & samsung tablet 8.0 - i think?)
    i absolutely do NOT want my contacts to cross-sync anywhere; meaning i want the contacts listed in each device's phone/address book to remain as is!
    i have over 1,000 contacts in s6's stock contact list, and that MUST remain untouched.
    to add to the issue, on the samsung tablet, it won't let me get into settings without syncing first. catch 22
    does anyone have directions of how i can accomplish this?
    i would delete gmail from android devices completely, and only use on laptop, if i didn't need it for the playstore.
    help ~

RrTT

Advertisement

2. A bochur

A bochur Android Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2016
    Male
    Go to settings_accounts_Google_***@gmail.com and uncheck sync contacts.
    Syncing contacts is useful in case you lose or damage ur phone, therefore i recommend you sync, but if you don't want to display so many contacts do the following
    Settings_contacts_contacts to display. And select device.
    You can always make a new Google account if you don't want to add it to your tablet

SolApathy, svim and Hadron like this.
  3. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Or if you have not already loaded the contacts, input or import them as device-only contacts (so will never be synced). But yes, as said above you can turn off contact syncing separately.

BTW the Gmail app is quite separate from the Play Store. I use the Play Store but don't have Gmail installed on my phone. It's the Google account that is needed, not any specific app or service (such as contact syncing or Gmail).

SolApathy and svim like this.
  4. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    If you don't want to have your contacts synced to your online account, then be sure to manually back them up to a computer or some other, reliable media source. Never rely on any smartphone as your primary storage, if those contacts are that important to you, you're really gambling on a chance nothing every happens to your phone. Even if it's not a matter of it being lost or stolen, the internal storage in your S6 could fail or the OS could become corrupted.

5. RrTT

RrTT Newbie
    None

Jul 9, 2017
    Female
    minnesota

6. RrTT

RrTT Newbie
    None

Jul 9, 2017
    Female
    minnesota
    wa-hoo!!! that is the best news i've heard in a while (that gmail not needed for playstore)...