• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sync E-Mail between Thunderbird and Andriod

TimTDP

May 5, 2011
I am looking for an app that will sync data between Android and Mozilla\'s Thunderbird\'s e-mail client. Data that needs to be syncronised includes:
* e-mail (multiple e-mail address's)
* contacts
* tasks
* events

E-mails must include received, sent, deleted, drafts

It needs to be both both ways:
Android -> Thunderbird
Thunderbird -> Android

It must support multiple devices. (I have a desktop, smart phone and tablet and all need to be syncronised)

I am happy to pay!

BTW, I have thought of using IMAP instead of POP to keep e-mails in sync. But, as far as I know, IMAP only works for received e-mails and not for sent e-mails.

After 55 reads and no replies, am I to assume that what I am requesting is:
* not doable
* too complicated
* has no commercial value

I have searched this topic this for weeks, and judging by the number of simillar requests I simply cannot believe no-one has taken up the challange!

I can only conclude that I must return to Windows and use BirdieSync which does the job. So much for my brief relationship with Android!

Upvote 0
Hi I found a fantastic work around for this! It's an app called FairEmail, opensource and super encrypted. If you download F-droid too you can install open key chain app so that when you send emails you can Encrypt your emails to recipients! The only downside is you have to manually add new recipient email addresses every time you send an email to a new recipient if you want it to be sent encrypted. However a dialogue box opens up giving you a chance to deselect encryption so you have the choice to send either encrypted or unencrypted. It's free and no ads and if you have a finger print reader you can enable this feature too if I remember? Basically it's the best bloody thing I've ever found and have been using it for the past couple months as I move away from Google products! It's not massively easy to set up but with a bit of perseverance its not that hard to figure out how to configure it properly. Once it's all set up you don't have to worry about it again. You just swipe down from the top of your phone screen every time you want new messages and mail to load. It's so great I'm considering sending the dev some money because I'm not sure there's a paid version.

Upvote 0
I can test, but only with Thunderbird. I don't use Outlook
Hi I found a fantastic work around for this! It's an app called FairEmail, opensource and super encrypted. If you download F-droid too you can install open key chain app so that when you send emails you can Encrypt your emails to recipients! The only downside is you have to manually add new recipient email addresses every time you send an email to a new recipient if you want it to be sent encrypted. However a dialogue box opens up giving you a chance to deselect encryption so you have the choice to send either encrypted or unencrypted. It's free and no ads and if you have a finger print reader you can enable this feature too if I remember? Basically it's the best bloody thing I've ever found and have been using it for the past couple months as I move away from Google products! It's not massively easy to set up but with a bit of perseverance its not that hard to figure out how to configure it properly. Once it's all set up you don't have to worry about it again. You just swipe down from the top of your phone screen every time you want new messages and mail to load. It's so great I'm considering sending the dev some money because I'm not sure there's a paid version. Here's the link to the app on Google play:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.faircode.email

Upvote 0
Welcome to Android Forums, AndroydMike! :)

It's pretty unlikely that the original participants in this thread will still be looking for a solution--the last post was from 2011! :eek:

But I'm glad you posted. Thanks for the heads-up about FairEmail. I've been looking at e-mail clients for a long time, and this one seems closest to what I want.

I've just installed it, and will gladly pay its $5.99 Pro fee if I like it. (If I don't like it, I'll uninstall it. I always buy paid versions of apps I like.) So thanks!

Upvote 0
I am looking for an app that will sync data between Android and Mozilla\'s Thunderbird\'s e-mail client. Data that needs to be syncronised includes:
* e-mail (multiple e-mail address's)
* contacts
* tasks
* events

E-mails must include received, sent, deleted, drafts

It needs to be both both ways:
Android -> Thunderbird
Thunderbird -> Android

It must support multiple devices. (I have a desktop, smart phone and tablet and all need to be syncronised)

I am happy to pay!

BTW, I have thought of using IMAP instead of POP to keep e-mails in sync. But, as far as I know, IMAP only works for received e-mails and not for sent e-mails.
I tried it once, not so sure ontop of my head though.

Maybe expierment with it better .. Anyone that could help them out?

Upvote 0
This thread is a null issue
Considering its OP was in 2011, no kidding!
focusing on syncing data between mail clients isn't a 'thing'. Instead look into each mail client application (PC) or app (mobile device) tying into the email service involved (Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo Mail, AOL Mail, etc.).
Much depends on the individual's needs.

As noted, I did install the app, FairEmail, named in the post that resurrected the thread. I've since paid for its Pro version.

I've looked at various Android mail apps over the years, but they all lacked something I needed/wanted. This one doesn't! It gives me nearly the same functionality I'm used to in my real mail client, SeaMonkey, which I've used on my computers since its days as Netscape Communicator (and it's Thunderbird's predecessor).

I don't use Gmail or its app at all; the only mail that comes to that address is from Google, like Play Store purchase confirmations. I have SeaMonkey set up to handle Gmail, my private Earthlink address (I've had for 25+ years!), and all the mail for my three domains. In SeaMonkey, all those accounts are seen and accessible at once, and that was one main thing I was looking for in an Android app.

I use my main computer as the central location for all my mail, so anything received on my phone stays on its respective server until downloaded on it. I have mail I can still access with SeaMonkey from the '90s! :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones