1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Sync Gmail

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by the_obs, May 15, 2011.

1. the_obs

the_obs Lurker

Hey all,
    I use a gmail account, and have an android phone. I'd like to get push email for my gmail account to the Mail application (NOT the Gmail application). Right now, I setup my gmail as an exchange account, to get push mail, calendar and contacts, because I used to have an iPhone where an exchange account was the only option for push gmail.
    My question is: will using the "Google" type account on my phone (in Accounts and Sync) only, can I get push mail, contacts and calendar, or do I need the Exchange ActiveSync type account?

Also, I always get contacts linked to social networks such as Twitter and Facebook twice, via Facebook and Facebook for HTC Sense, or Twitter and Twitter for HTC Sense (I'm ona DHD). This also happens for my gmail, where I get links to Google contacts, and Exchange ActiveSync contacts, although they're both the same thing. How can I exclude contacts from linking to Twitter and Facebook for HTC Sense? As for the gmail contacts, these redundant links will stop if I can delete the exchange account (1rst question).

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Steven58

Which phone do you have?

3. If you want to use Gmail, use the GMail app, NOT the mail app. Gmail is meant to be used with the gmail app. Yes, if you use the gmail app, your contacts/calendar will still be synced.

4. the_obs

the_obs Lurker

Hi,
    I have an HTC Desire HD.
    I can't use the gmail app as I have multiple (non gmail) e-mail addresses I need to receive, too.
    Will gmail push mail, contacts and calendar if I use the mail app and do not have an Exchange ActiveSync account (i.e. just a "Google" account)?

5. TheBrit

TheBrit Android Expert

What's stopping you from using the gmail app for your gmail and the other mail app for the rest? That's what I do on my DHD. On the normal mail app I have a pop3 account and an exchange account set up. The exchange account is for my work email.

6. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert

You can still use the gmail app.

I know it will set up as a gmail account. Not sure if it's set up as IMAP via the stock mail app. Not sure if you can set it up as ActiveSync on Android and I don't recall seeing any threads along these lines.

7. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

Here's what I ended up doing. I have multiple email accounts, none of which is a Gmail account (prior to getting and Android phone). I forward my primary email account, to my Gmail account. This way, I get push notification for my primary account. The forward to Gmail is instantaneous and then the push from Gmail to my phone is intantaneous. I can also set up Gmail, so when I send emails, it sends it as though I am using my primary account. I import my secondary account to Gmail. This means that Gmail only pools my secondary account once an hour.

When replying to emails, I set up Gmail to reply using the email account that received the email. If I am replying to an email that was sent to my primary account, it will appear that I am sending that from my primary account. If the email is to my secondary account, the reply appears to be sent to my secondary account.

With this set-up, I use only my Gmail client to send and receive emails. I also have to manually import my contact to Gmail. This is a bit of a hassel, but it works.

8. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Android Expert

I use the standard Android 2.2 email app to receive both my gmail and my non-gmail (like Hotmail). From within the standard email app, hit the "settings" button on your phone and select "Add Account".

If you set up multiple email accounts, the mail will appear in a merged email account which is color coded by email account, though you can choose to view individual inboxes for each account.

If you use Outlook or Windows Live Mail on your PC, and you use (or don't mind adding a Hotmail, MSN Mail, or Windows Live Mail account) you can even automatically synchronize your Outlook email, contacts, & calendar between your PC and your Android phone. Instructions are here. Any such contacts or calendar items will not be synchronized with Gmail (which is arguably a good thing) or be searchable with Google Voice Search (which is not a good thing since it works better than the built in voice dialer) but you can still use those contacts to make phone calls, send emails, navigate, etc.

9. daled10

daled10 Lurker

I have several e-mails sent to my Gmail that showed up on my Samsung android, but not on my desktop. Does anyone know what I need to do to the settings to sync the inboxes?

I have both Yahoo and gmail accounts. No problems with Yahoo.

I'm new to both smart phones and gmail.

Thanks.

10. Gmail should automatically go to both your desktop and your phone. I have never had a problem with that.

11. technopat

technopat Lurker

Anyone help me with the information of Android tablets that has inbuilt provision of connecting it to an external hard drive or PC.

12. Usta

Usta Android Expert

This topic is about Gmail, so your question is out of line here.
    Your question is more suited in Tablet forum section: General Tablet Talk - Android Forums