• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sync to Google Contacts Not Working Well

persistentone

Sep 4, 2013
For one of my Google accounts, sync to the cloud has stopped working reliably. This is affecting both a Samsung Galaxy S4 phone as well as an original Samsung Note 10.1 2014.

Here is what transpired on the phone:

1) Today I noticed that a contact of a family member disappeared on the phone. That contact still exists on the cloud version of Contacts. I re synced the Contacts app and this did not fix anything.

If I delete a contact on the phone, shouldn't that delete on the web if everything is working?

2) I exported the contact on the web, then renamed the original contact to a backup name. I then imported the saved contact and created a new contact and gave it a unique name that reflects that it was a restore. I go to the phone and the contact does NOT appear on the phone. I forced a resync and this did not fix anything.

3) I went to my tablet and the contact existed both on the tablet and the cloud. I renamed the contact on the cloud and it shows renamed on the tablet. But the new contact I create on the cloud never appears on the tablet, even after I force a resync of contacts.

It looks like sync for this account is broken.

I already contacted Google support and Samsung support, through Verizon. Their recommendation is to remove the account from the phone and add it back. I want to make sure I understand the implications of doing that.

Will this delete all of my contacts locally on the phone? If for some reason sync is really broken for this account, then if I add the account back my phone would basically become useless since information would not populate from the cloud to the phone.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones