1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Synching contacts, photos, etc

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by golfergirl13, Dec 26, 2011.

1. golfergirl13

golfergirl13 Newbie

I know there are probably many threads regarding synching. I have an HTC Inspire and the software is 2.3.3. I need to synch my photos, contacts, bookmarks, etc before my replacement (HTC Inspire) arrives on Wednesday.

I just installed HTC synch and when I went to synch, received an message Unable to copy contacts from PIM. I have NO idea what this means.

So, I found a thread that says to install MyPhoneExplorer and I did, however, I received another message "Ensure that the Debug-Interface-Drivers for your phone are installed (ADB-Drivers)". Where do I install this?

Any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. golfergirl13

golfergirl13 Newbie

Please, can anyone help? I just received my replacement phone and need to synch everything.

3. golfergirl13

golfergirl13 Newbie

Please, anyone?

4. sharksfan7

sharksfan7 Android Enthusiast

I can't help you get MyPhoneExplorer working b/c I don't use it. And I don't think it's necessary to run the HTC Sync software in order to back things up and transfer it to the new phone.

Your contacts and many of the phone's settings should already be sync'd to your Google account. To make sure they are, go to Settings>Accounts & Sync>Google and tap Sync Now. When you set up the new phone and sign into the account, your contacts will automatically sync. If you have contacts that are saved on the phone that aren't sync'd to gmail, you can open the People app, Menu>Import/Export>Export to SD card. That will create a .vcf file on the root of the card. Transfer that file to the new phone and then import into the People app....That error your getting about "unable to copy contacts from PIM" sounds like it's trying to sync contacts from Outlook. If you don't use Outlook on your computer then there are no contacts for it to sync.

Pictures are saved on the sd card. You can just swap the sd card from the old phone into the new one. Or plug the old phone to your computer, set as Disk Drive and copy the folder w/ the pictures to your computer. I believe it's /DCIM/100Media. Then plug in the new phone and copy that folder onto its sd card.

If you're using the stock browser, I don't believe there is an option to export your bookmarks. Those may be backed up to the gmail account or HTCSense account and possibly be restored when you sign in on the new phone. Can't say for sure b/c I don't use the stock browser. You can install a different browser that allows import/export of bookmarks. Dolphin Browser can do that. It'll import your bookmarks from the stock browser then you can back them up to your sd card. Then use that to restore into Dolphin Browser on the new phone. However, I don't think there is an easy way to get them back into the stock browser. If you want to sync all your bookmarks from your browser on your computer to your phone, then you'll probably need to use HTCSync for that. If you use Firefox on your computer, there is a sync function built into that which you can set up. You'll need to install FF on the phone as well.

If you get all your apps from the Android Market they are still linked to your gmail account. Some apps will automatically get pushed to the new phone when you sign in. For the others you will need to go to My Library in the Android Market on the web and install the apps you need. If you get apps from Amazon those will still be linked to your Amazon account. You'll need to install the Amazon Appstore app and sign in. Then you'll be able to download and install all your apps.

If you want to save text messages you need to install an app that can do backup and restore of SMS. As far as I can remember, the stock messaging app doesn't. GO SMS is a messaging app that has B&R built in. There are also apps that just do B&R of SMS. Check the Market for something that'll work for you. The backup file will be saved to the sd card, so again just swap the card to the new phone.

If you have game progress data that you want to keep, you pretty much need to use something like Titanium Backup to backup and restore the data. However, you need to be rooted to use it.

Pretty much anything else like music or documents are going to be saved on the sd card. Again, just swap the sd cards or copy the files from the computer onto the sd card of the new phone.

If there is something specific that you need transferred to the new phone that I didn't cover, post what it is and I'll see if I can help you make that happen.