1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Syncing and displaying an Outlook PST AND an Exchange Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Notes

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by BJBBJB, Nov 3, 2011.

1. BJBBJB

BJBBJB Newbie
    None

Nov 3, 2011
    Greetings,
    After exhaustive research, I still have not been able to find a solution to this issue. I can find find how to do parts of it, but not all together.

I want to move to Android and retain my WebOS ability to sync separately and view together a local Outlook PST calendar/contacts/tasks/notes AND an separate Exchange-syned set of Calendar/contacts/tasks/notes.

There is a great thread here about setting up hotmail and using that to sync, but do not think that includes notes and tasks? It also forces you to move off of your local PST but a pretty elegant solution. Would that allow me to also display an exchange-sync'ed set of data and keep them separate?

I would prefer not to push everything to google or even hotmail for that matter. Again, there are free and for $ 3rd party solutions that will let me sync via USB or wi-fi my local Outlook PST file. Some sync to their own phone-based calendar app...some sync to the native android app. But in ALL cases, when you add another calendar and contacts, etc. via an exchange sync, the solutions fall apart. Some can't display both in their phone calendar app. Some that can write to the native calendar cannot keep the calendar syncs separate so you eventually have an exchange sync and local PST that have sync'd everything together...which defeats the purpose of having a personal and corporate exchange sync separately

Is there a solution out there I have missed that could handle both?

BJBBJB

Advertisement

2. spile

spile Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 18, 2010
    MyPhoneExplorer now supports Notes and Tasks. Have you tried it? I have been using it for nearly a year now.

3. BJBBJB

BJBBJB Newbie
    None

Nov 3, 2011
    Spile,
    Thanks. I have seen this program mentioned and did some research on it. The documentation is pretty sparse....am I correct that MyPhoneExplorer syncs to the native android calendar app on the phone?

One thing I liked is that I read it does allow you to choose WHERE you save your calendar (and hopefully contact?) data on the phone. You can choose either the "google contacts" or "phone only" contacts database? Is this true even if you do not sync to Google but straight from the PC to the phone?

What I also was still not sure of is if say I chose "google contacts" for MFE and then I also used the "corporate contacts" field to sync to my exchange server directly (without using MyPhoneExplorer for that sync), would the phone correctly display both calendars and contacts together and keep the syncs separate. What would the phone do with duplicate contacts? Combine like HP/Palm WebOS does?

Also, I see that MyPhoneExplorer does not support all the Outlook phone number and e-mail fields and for some contacts I use almost all of these fields. So I would lose some data when I sync which means I would have to carefully go through all the unsupported fields. If everything else worked how I wanted I would be glad to do that.

I know that 2 other sync solutions I looked at would NOT allow me to sync direct to an exchange server to the native android calendar and then use their program to sync a desktop outlook PST because they were using the same data fields. Perhaps this is not true of MyPhoneExplorer....

Thanks for any additional insight you can provide.
    BJBBJB

4. spile

spile Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 18, 2010
    Yes though I personally use Google Calendar Sync for that.

Yes

Sorry I have never used it in that way. I suggest you ask on the MPE forum.

The latest version has added support for more fields but at the end of the day Android and Outlook are two different systems from two different manufacturers so you are never going to get 100% compatability.