1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Syncing calls and texts with PC but no carrier signal

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by shosterman, Oct 24, 2014.

1. shosterman

shosterman Lurker

Hello all,

I have this problem with my phone that makes me want to scream out loud, but to whom?! :)

At my office, I have no signal with T-Mobile. I get by because most of my communications are done via email and when I need to call I use a headset and call through hangouts (which uses my Google Voice number). I can receive calls on Hangouts as long as they use my Google Voice number, but more and more people call me on my carrier number which then goes straight to voicemail with no service.

------Long Version:------
    I have moved away from Google Voice because while it does have these great syncing features, it never really supported MMS very well and sometimes it just seems so damn slow to pull up a voicemail. Plus at EVERY converstaion I am having to explain to people why I have 2 numbers...

I have also tried MightyText but that only works when my phone has service.

While writing this I thought about setting up a forward with T-Mobile to forward to my office phone and then turn that off when I leave, but I can see that quickly becoming annoying.

I guess I could also get a new phone with T-Mobile, one that supports WiFi calling. My Nexus 4 from the play store does not. Have been thinking of the Nexus 6. I don't want to switch carriers. :) The Femtocell I have with them does not help.

------Short version:------
    Does anyone know what I could use to be able to make and receive calls/texts through my computer using my carriers number?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Think you might be able to receive calls, by putting a redirect on your carrier's number to your Google Voice number, so it forwards calls to GV, but you'll be paying extra for that of course. Outgoing calls with your carrier, then I think you need carrier service. You say you've tried a femtocell, is it not working properly, and it's not doing what it's supposed to, i.e. giving you a signal in places where there's no carrier signal.

3. shosterman

shosterman Lurker

So after posting this I had to go out and see someone and on the way I called and politely complained to T-Mobile. She forwarded me to a tech rep who was happy to send me out a new femtocell in exchange for mine. I believe mine must be the RS1 as they are sending me the RS2 dual band. She even waived the $25 deposit and while technically I need to use it at the house (where our account is registered) she said to use it at the office off the record. I don't have high hopes but let us see.

I considered the call forwarding and may do that since I can probably program a couple contacts as forward on and forward off.

The last thing is can hangouts be modified to dial out using my carrier number? And why does it not sync with my phone? It syncs about half the content or maybe just the stuff coming in on Google voice number. Would have to do some tests.

I thought that was supposed to be a big feature.