1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Syncing contacts and calendar from phone's memory to Google

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by czdraconis, Aug 6, 2013.

1. czdraconis

czdraconis Lurker
    None

Jul 9, 2013
    Hello,

currently I still have got Sony Xperia X8. I know it's a little bit old but still I want to keep it for few months. Now I'm thinking about rooting it and upgrading it to Android 2.2 or 2.3. All the stuff is stored in the phone's memory. I'd like to synchronize my contacts and calendar events to Google - tried few tricks but still without any result.

It looks like it's not possible to sync contacts which weren't stored as Google Contacts. I need to do the same with my calendar events.

I would really like to keep my data stored in the phone's memory as well as on Google. So I'm looking for sync option. If this is not possible then I'll need to get used to store everything just on Google but first I need to import my data there as well.

Any advices, your experience etc.? How do you sync your data or what solution do you use and why?

Thank you very much for info.

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Google contacts are stored in the phone's memory - they are just synced with Google as well. I'm not familiar with the Xperia's software, but on some phones the trick to changing contact type from Phone Only to Google is to export them from the contacts app (which saves them as a vcf file on your sd) and then importing them again, and selecting contact type "Google" when importing.

In the same way, your phone keeps a local copy of Google calendar data, just that it can be updated automatically from the cloud as well. I don't think you'll be able to sync calendar data with Google without copying the appointments into a Google calendar.

czdraconis and Crashdamage like this.
  3. czdraconis

czdraconis Lurker
    None

Jul 9, 2013
    Thanks for the tip, Hadron. Exporting contacts and importing them again as Google Contacts worked. Deleting all contacts before importing them again took me some time to manage out but there's an app on Google Play just for this. BTW deleting data from the Contacts app in the phone settings doesn't work.

Now I have to look for a solution with calendar. I really dislike the need of retyping every single event manually to Google calendar... Hope I'll find another more convenient solution.

After that I decided to upgrade my X8 to Android 2.2 as many apps require it and I'd like to be able to save apps on the SD card as well. Unfortunately trying the first step - rooting the phone with SuperOneClick - gets me stuck. But that's another problem, so I will create a new thread for this issue.

Thanks again!