• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help syncing contacts to gmail

I am assuming you moved your contacts from a blackberry or other device. Right now those contacts are saved to phone and not google or they would show up in your gmail contacts folder.

(If you want to see what I mean, go to People-->Menu-->View-- There you will see how many contacts are listed in the phone and how many are on Google). Simply syncing Google contacts does not convert them from "Phone" to "Google."

Click on People-->Menu-->Import/Export-->Export to SD card. Now you need to connect your EVO to your computer. Download HTC sync before you connect your EVO to the computer. Once connected, transfer the file that has your exported contacts to your desktop. Then log into your Gmail account--> contacts-->Import. Upload the file.

Once that is done make sure all your contacts are in gmail the way you want them. Edit any that need editing. Once your contacts are good. You need to delete all the phone contacts from the EVO.

To quickly do that, you can go to Menu-->Settings-->Applications-->Manage Applications-->People (the phone with the rolodex icon)-->Clear Data.

That will delete everything but all your contacts from gmail will magically appear in a matter of seconds.

Reactions: this n00b again
Upvote 0
I am assuming you moved your contacts from a blackberry or other device. Right now those contacts are saved to phone and not google or they would show up in your gmail contacts folder.

(If you want to see what I mean, go to People-->Menu-->View-- There you will see how many contacts are listed in the phone and how many are on Google). Simply syncing Google contacts does not convert them from "Phone" to "Google."

Click on People-->Menu-->Import/Export-->Export to SD card. Now you need to connect your EVO to your computer. Download HTC sync before you connect your EVO to the computer. Once connected, transfer the file that has your exported contacts to your desktop. Then log into your Gmail account--> contacts-->Import. Upload the file.

Once that is done make sure all your contacts are in gmail the way you want them. Edit any that need editing. Once your contacts are good. You need to delete all the phone contacts from the EVO.

To quickly do that, you can go to Menu-->Settings-->Applications-->Manage Applications-->People (the phone with the rolodex icon)-->Clear Data.

That will delete everything but all your contacts from gmail will magically appear in a matter of seconds.

not exactly the answer i was looking for, but helped in many ways.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones