1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Support syncing emails question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by freedda, Aug 5, 2013.

1. freedda

freedda Newbie

Okay, this is a bit odd. I started using the K-9 email app because the 'native' one on my N7 is such crap. All is well, but I noticed that if I delete emails in K-9, they are not deleted from the server, and I have to go to webmail on my laptop and delete them from there. I tried deleting, then re-installing the app, but got the same thing.

On a whim, I opened the native email app and saw that the 'deleted' emails were still sitting in the trash folder, and when I deleted them they finally went off the server , and didn't show up in webmail.

So, is there a way to stop the emails from showing up in the native email program so I don't have to delete them from two apps before they are really gone? Thanks, David

Advertisement

2. freedda

freedda Newbie

A bit more info. Someone recommended I try disabling the native email app, which I did. I did another delete test, but it didn't help. However, when I went into Settings to see if the app was still disabled, I didn't even see it in my app list, but instead see something called 'exchange services' which I don't remember seeing before--not sure what it is, or how its related to my getting emails, and it's a mystery as to what happened to the email app, which I'm sure I didn't delete.

3. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

So I am understanding your issue, when you delete from K9 it is not delete from the Gmail server ??

4. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

In K9 Mail; settings, go into Fetching mail, and make sure when If delete a message it is marked delete from server.

5. freedda

freedda Newbie

K-9 is configured to delete messages from the server when deleted from the app. Im not using the Gmail server, it's the server of my ISP. I don't use Gmail.

6. wrecklass

wrecklass Well-Known Member

I understand, you aren't talking about the native Gmail App, which only works with Google Mail. You are referring to the Android EMail App, which is quite different.

You need to find out if your ISP's email uses IMAP or POP3. Some support both. IMAP, sometimes associated with Microsoft Exchange, will delete email when you delete it in the client, though it actually sends it to the trash folder.

POP3 normally leaves mail on the server while you read it in a mail client.

Even if you tell the EMail client to delete mail on the server when you delete it in the client with POP3, it still usually goes to Trash.