1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Syncing music playlists

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by krainert, Mar 24, 2011.

1. krainert

krainert Lurker
    None

Mar 24, 2011
    EDIT:
    See edit 2 in #4. Thanks.
    ("Reframing the problem: Is there an Android music player that actually reads playlist files rather than rely on Google's system?")

Greetings,

I cannot figure out why this has to be so complicated, but I hope you know some reliable way to do it.
    I'm using Songbird on my PC's (although I'm willing to switch) and the default Music player on my Nexus S (ditto). I found an addon called FolderSync which lets me convert and transfer my playlists to the smartphone. It's not an elegant solution, but apparently it'll have to do. On the phone, however, the playlists weren't updated in any of the music players I've tried although the correct playlist files were present in the music directory. I read about it, and apparently the apps don't rescan the data themselves but rather rely on some built-in scanner service which only runs very rarely. To subvert this less-than-ideal solution, I tried installing the SDrescan app. After running it, newly transferred playlists do show up in the default Music player, but ghosts of old ones stick around - one of each playlist for each time I've re-transferred it.

So my question is: Is there a non-******ed music player out there which actually scans the drive rather than assuming the user never changes his playlists? Can the problem be solved otherwise?
    I've tried Music (default), Songbird, and Winamp so far, and they all seem to rely on the built-in scanner service.
    The thing that puzzles me the most is if the players rely on the scanner to provide a list of playlists, why would they maintain their own lists? If they add new playlists to them when the service or SDrescan tells them to, why on Earth would they not clear the existing list?

Thanks. Not being able to use my playlists on the device kind of eliminates the main purpose of having a smartphone for me.

Advertisement

2. StarMenace

StarMenace Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 29, 2009
    Why not just use DoubleTwist?

3. curtst

curtst Newbie
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    USAF
    I second this. DoubleTwist is awesome. Thinking about getting the airsync app for it too (wireless syncing).

4. krainert

krainert Lurker
    None

Mar 24, 2011
    EDIT 2:
    Reframing the problem: Is there an Android music player that actually reads playlist files rather than rely on Google's system?

Thanks. I got doubleTwist Player and bought AirSync for the Nexus, and I got doubleTwist for my pc. However, I can't seem to figure out how to import my playlists from Songbird? Also, how does doubleTwist handle smart playlists?

EDIT:
    Okay, apparently the Windows client doesn't support smart playlists which pretty much makes the system useless.
    Any ideas besides doubleTwist?

Tags: