• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Syncing Outlook 2000

surveyor

Oct 26, 2010
I bought a Desire HD yesterday and downloaded HTC Sync 3.xxx. I bought the phone with a requirement to be able to sync with my Outlook calendar (do not need contacts). Sure enough the sync program recognises my phone and the sync screen on the computer shows sync, calendar, outlook. I click to sync and get a message in the bottom left hand corner of the sync screen on the computer saying syncing contacts (even though I only asked for calendar). In any event it syncs nothing! I did temporarily make Outlook my email client as a message came up on the PC saying the sync program requires this. Can anyone please help me here? I do understand that I can sync with google calendar but I did not wish to go down that route when HTC have said that the latest android system WILL sync with Outlook 2000. I have emailed HTC but on past experience they have not been very useful. HELP before I take the phone back for a refund.

Ah. Someone else who still uses Outlook 2000! Way to go ...

Right, I did some researching into this before I got the phone and found that there were a *few* solutions out there to sync OL2K to Android but nothing that got 10/10. With that in mind HTC Sync *seemed* to be the answer. However I found the same problem you did, though in my case I attach more importance to the contacts as I use Outlook as my address book (suitably backed up as well!). All I need is a way to sync contacts and calendar TO the phone. No need for 2 way.

After HTC sync failed I looked around and downloaded 'MyPhoneExplorer' (see ... FJ Software Development ... ). Worked first time - for contacts anyway, but still no calendar. Hmmm. But then, on their forum, I found a comnment that until you made an entry to the phone's calendar you couldn't sync with it (an Android bug was the reason - though I'm just repeating what was written there). I made a dummy entry then tried again and hey presto, it all worked.

So, MyPhoneExplorer is what I use now but it could be that HTC pull their finger out and fix HTC Sync. In the meantime I have a solution.

Oh, you do need the drivers from HTC Sync installed on your PC and when you plug the phone in to the USB choose the 'HTC Sync' option rather than anything else. When MPE starts up hit the 'F1' key to connect up. Let us know how you get on.

Dave

PS: I'm running XP Pro with SP3 and all patches.

Upvote 0
Ah. Someone else who still uses Outlook 2000! Way to go ...

Right, I did some researching into this before I got the phone and found that there were a *few* solutions out there to sync OL2K to Android but nothing that got 10/10. With that in mind HTC Sync *seemed* to be the answer. However I found the same problem you did, though in my case I attach more importance to the contacts as I use Outlook as my address book (suitably backed up as well!). All I need is a way to sync contacts and calendar TO the phone. No need for 2 way.

After HTC sync failed I looked around and downloaded 'MyPhoneExplorer' (see ... FJ Software Development ... ). Worked first time - for contacts anyway, but still no calendar. Hmmm. But then, on their forum, I found a comnment that until you made an entry to the phone's calendar you couldn't sync with it (an Android bug was the reason - though I'm just repeating what was written there). I made a dummy entry then tried again and hey presto, it all worked.

So, MyPhoneExplorer is what I use now but it could be that HTC pull their finger out and fix HTC Sync. In the meantime I have a solution.

Oh, you do need the drivers from HTC Sync installed on your PC and when you plug the phone in to the USB choose the 'HTC Sync' option rather than anything else. When MPE starts up hit the 'F1' key to connect up. Let us know how you get on.

Dave

PS: I'm running XP Pro with SP3 and all patches.

Hi. This is really useful. I emailed HTC 'Help' about this. I have tried them before but I am not sure who they employ but every time they have been absolutely hopeless. they do not read the questions and just give generic responses. On this particular issue they said I must use their HTC sync; in my question to them I stated that I WAS using their sync. As usual if you want info, get it yourself from a forum.
At present I am using the google calendar and that syncs perfectly with the phone after I synced my Outlook with google calendar. I guess this is what google want and android couldn't care about outlook syncing. What annoys me is the fact that I specifically asked if my phone would cataully sync with OL2K and I was told YES. I would like to het an HTC rep round to my house and give him the task!
Incidentally how many contacts did you have to transfer over. I haev a lot but I only need them for their names and addresses. Also how do you access them on your phone - under what heading are they?

Upvote 0
I don't know about Outlook 2000, but I know it works with Outlook 2010 as I've tried it myself :)

It is annoying when HTC say that their latest sync on Android 2.2 OES sync Outlook 2000 with calendar etc. I note that I am not the only person on this forum who knows that their sync does NOT work. guess one way around this is for me to buy a stand alone version of Outlook 2003,7 or 10. As you know the OL2K file format is .pst. I assume that i is possible to transfer over all calendar and contacts from my OL2 to the newer Outlook? And I assume that both calendar and contacts DO actually sync with the Desire phone calendar etc?

Upvote 0
.... At present I am using the google calendar and that syncs perfectly with the phone after I synced my Outlook with google calendar. I guess this is what google want and android couldn't care about outlook syncing. What annoys me is the fact that I specifically asked if my phone would cataully sync with OL2K and I was told YES. ...

Nope. Google want your data! I just prefer to keep things like personal contacts, well, personal .... I have seen in writing somewhere that HTC Sync does support OL2K but not sure where ....

... Incidentally how many contacts did you have to transfer over. I haev a lot but I only need them for their names and addresses. Also how do you access them on your phone - under what heading are they?

I have about 90 that I transferred to the phone. That includes as much info. (phone(s), address(s), url, email, fax, etc etc) as possible for the contact. I just hit the 'Phone' tab at the bottom of the main screen and it pulls up the alphabetical list. Handily it sticks any recent contact 'activity' at the top.
As to what heading, I just have them listed firstname first. I used to do that with work contacts as well but haven't downloaded that many to this phone. Once the 'dial screen' is up you can use it to search - get it up then menu/tips.

Cheers

Dave

Reactions: surveyor
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones