1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Syncing over iTunes

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by jiffy1, Jan 31, 2014.

1. jiffy1

jiffy1 Newbie
    None

Nov 28, 2013
    For any former/current iOS users - I'm looking for an app that can have iTunes (on mac) recognize my nexus 5 from the sidebar that I can wirelessly drag content to. I realize there's a good chance this doesn't exist but if anyone knows or has the next best thing that beats plugging my phone in via usb to use the "android file transfer" app to drag music to I'd like to hear it. I found an itunesish program called doubletwist which accomplishes this but I don't want to have to abandon itunes to perform this function if possible.

Advertisement

2. GuitarG20

GuitarG20 Clueless Senior Member
    None

Jun 23, 2012
    Male
    Texas
    I don't know if there is an app that properly spoofs the nexus 5, but you could consider using google play music and the music manager app. This app will upload a copy of up to 20,000 songs from iTunes into a server, that you can then use with your phone and the google play music app. You can choose whether you want to download the songs to your phone or just stream them.

3. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Oct 29, 2013
    Male
    SysAdmin
    Huntsville, AL
    As you mentioned, DoubleTwist is the only app I know of that can get an Android device to sync with iTunes at all - even if it does require a PC/Mac application as a go-between. I know it's not exactly what you want, but I believe it's going to be your best option.

4. jiffy1

jiffy1 Newbie
    None

Nov 28, 2013
    I don't use my phone as an mp3 player often though I do quite a bit of downloading so when the google play manager is linked to my download folder and running it just slows my mac down too much. I like to be able to just drag and drop a couple albums or a podcast when I go out versus needing hundreds of options at all times.

codesplice - I may be missing something on how doubletwist works exactly. How does doubletwist interact with itunes? When I installed it itunes didn't seem apart of the equation at all, just seems like it was going for a similar UI. My phone would show up in the doubletwist sidebar on the mac app, I just don't want to actually store my library on doubletwist to do that. Is there a way to do that from itunes?

5. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Oct 29, 2013
    Male
    SysAdmin
    Huntsville, AL
    I've never used iTunes so I can't personally tell you exactly how it works, but it sounds like DoubleTwist should be able to automatically locate your iTunes library and then be able to sync to your Android device.

So you won't actually do the syncing with the iTunes application, but DoubleTwist can work as an intermediary to sync your iTunes library to your device. I think.

6. GuitarG20

GuitarG20 Clueless Senior Member
    None

Jun 23, 2012
    Male
    Texas
    The thing that will get you with double twist and iTunes is that double twist can't sync stuff that's from back when iTunes put DRM on their music. So anything from before iTunes went DRM free wont work. Same thing with google play music manager or any app really.

codesplice likes this.
  7. jiffy1

jiffy1 Newbie
    None

Nov 28, 2013
    My issue with doubletwist is that it won't transfer my podcasts in a convenient "podcasts" tab the way itunes does. I like to cherrypick episodes to drag onto my phone. That and the music interface is just sort of awkward. Searching music in the tiles view for example lists every individual song. I'd much rather it be one album cover per album as itunes does it and expands when you click on it, on doubletwist for a 13 song album there's 13 album tiles to scroll through. If you're not actually entering a specific artist or album in the text box at the top right it makes for almost impossible scrolling through.