• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help syncing phone contacts to google

Germwise

Android Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2009
My question is this:

I currently have phone pulling down all my Google contacts that generally consist of name smile and number.

The incredible also links these contacts with my Facebook and so adds info to these contacts such as additional numbers,birthdays etc etc.

What I want is this additional contact info now on my phone to uploaded to Google.

For example I have a Google calendar with peoples birthdays on it and I would like it to have all my contacts birthdays from favebook.

I would have imagined this should happen automatically but alas it is not so.
Help!

Here's what I'm finding... there seems to be two kinds of entries you can make into your phone, and you'll see it listed up by the link symbol on the top part of the screen. It will either say Phone or Google. (I found that all the contacts on my old phone that were imported at the Verizon store showed up on the Incredible as a "Phone" contact. Remember this point....

When you are entering a contact into your phone manually, you are given a choice as to what kind of entry (or contact) you want it to be -- Phone or Google. I found that when I chose "Phone" it did not sync back to my G-Mail account. When I entered a selection as "Google" it DID show up in my G-Mail account (make sure in the settings that you've allowed for Google syncing).

HTC said in an e-mail to me that I could use the program HTC-Sync found under the Eris page (they didn't have one to download for the Incredible when I went looking), and then sync information from Microsoft Outlook into the Incredible. But looking at some of the people's comments about information being partially transferred, or Outlook's data being wiped out I chickened out and decided not to try it... yet.

I am first taking all of my contacts and manually typing each one into my G-Mail contact list, and then deleting the "Phone" entry on the Incredible to where all my entries will ultimately be "Google" entries. Once I know that I have Google to back up any misfortune I might suffer at the hands of HTC-Sync, I MIGHT go ahead and try the program out to see what happens. Maybe it will work OK, or maybe I won't be one of the lucky ones. But I'll be able to get my contacts back into my phone via Google.

Upvote 0
You can import your contacts from Verizon or the phone to Google w/o having to type them all in again. There are two ways:

1. Use Backup Assistant on the Verizon Website to export all contacts to a CSV file. Google contacts will read the file and import the contacts. Then sync your phone with Google and all the info in the "phone" contacts will be in "google" contacts.

2. Instead of Backup Assistant, there's an app called Contacts Export which will do the same thing and save it as a CSV file on your microSD card. Transfer to your computer and do the same thing as above.

Upvote 0
Hello All,
I have a related issue with syncing facebook/google contacts and the HTC Incredible. I have my google account and facebook account logged in on my HTC Incredible - and I've noticed that all of the birthdays I had stored in Google Contacts online have been erased - does anyone know why this happened -or what the solution is?

The birthday is filled in on my phone via facebook data - but anything I had in there previously has been erased. This is quite disappointing.

I tried to manually re-enter some passwords, but the phone erases them again on google contacts.

Please help!

Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones