1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

syncing with outlook on 2 computers?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by BillFarino, Sep 26, 2011.

1. BillFarino

BillFarino Guest
    None
    I currently have an older windows mobile phone that I soon have to replace. I am able to usb sync my outlook calendar, contacts and tasks on two computers so that all three devices have essentially the same info. I do not sync my email nor do I want to. I do not have wi-fi at work.

If I get an Android phone, will I be able to do the samething, without having to pay ongoing subscription fees for some cloud thing? How would I do this?

thanks much,
    Bill

Advertisement

2. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    Welcome to Android Forums! Depending on the device you get this should be no problem.

What email service do you use? If it's not Gmail you will have to get a Gmail account. Having said that, I love my Gmail accounts, much better than the crappy Yahoo and Hotmail accounts I've accumulated over the years.

If you use Gmail, there are no cloud fees or anything - it's 100% free!

3. BillFarino

BillFarino Guest
    None
    So, all I need is a gmail account and then I could USB sync an android phone with outlook on two computers in both directions? There are no additional apps needed etc - just plug it in and let it sync?

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

You dont USB sync. Android's arent designed really for USB sync. You cloud sync. Get to GMail accounts, which both will come with Google Calendars.

1. Make a Google Account, which comes with Gmail, and Google Calendar

2. You set your Outlook calendars to sync to these Google calendar
    using other software like GCalsync.

3. On your phone's log in to your Gmail account by going to menu>settings>accounts and sync>add account. Add both accounts.

4. On your phone's calendar, menu>settings>Calendars>choose your google calendar

5. On calendar still, menu>settings>calendar sync>turn on background sync and auto sync.

You're all done. Your phone will now download your calendars from your Gmail accounts. Any changes to any calendars on your phone will reflect on all three devices automatically without using any USB. Depending of course on sync interval set. For example, I am in school and they announce an exam next week. I put it into my calendar on my phone. 1 hour later, if I ask my brother to check my desktop at home, he can see that my calendar will say that I have an exam next week, even if I havent even got home yet.

It syncs via the internet. Its ok if you have no mobile data plan, as it will sync once your phone connects to a wifi network.

5. heat57

heat57 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    Consultant
    Birmingham, UK
    Chanchan05 is on the right track, however, I'd suggest something a little more sophisticated and adaptable in the form of 'GSyncit'. It is the best Outlook-to-Google sync tool available - IMHO.
    I've tried many ways in the past and have come down to this methodology - setup gmail account with IMAP (push) enabled, which will feed/sync with my mobile devices (mail, calendar, contacts); use GSyncit to sync Outlook calendar, contacts, tasks and notes with gmail account (you have to make sure you get the sync settings right in GSyncit so it syncs with the correct gmail calendar and contacts - syncing with 'My Contacts' in google account works correctly in all directions).
    Finally, I use third party apps from the market to sync my notes and tasks between my google account and my mobile devices. I have never needed to do any backups since. It is a little convaluted at first, but like everything, once setup its worth it.

P.S. best of all the software and apps require one-ff payments only, no ongoing subscription and future updates are free _ GSyncit is around $20, comes in most Windows flavours and sits in your system tray running as a Windows service. You can set the sync interval from 3 mins to several hours.

6. BillFarino

BillFarino Guest
    None
    At work, our IT dept has our computers very locked down - can't install software/apps, can't change anything but most superficial settings, etc. However, they indicate they're willing to be helpful to make syncing work. How helpful will they need to be so that my Outlook calendar and contacts sync on both my home and work computers without challenging their security concerns?

7. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

If they allow installation of GCalSync, you're good to go.

8. thedosbox

thedosbox Guest
    None
    If you have a HTC phone, it comes with a free program "HTC sync" that allows for USB synching to Outlook on a PC. Samsung also offers similar functionality through their program "Kies".

If you have another device, then this site lists the various options: Sync Android/Droid with Outlook/Exchange