1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Syncronize hotmail over wifi only

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by oysteig, Sep 14, 2011.

1. oysteig

oysteig Lurker
    None

So I bought this Desire HD (with android 2.2, now upgraded to 2.3.3) and set it up to use my hotmail with the default mail client. Now this works fine, I get notified when e-mails are received. I guess it is using activesync and pushing mails to my phone.

Even though I am mostly around known wireless networks that I have connected to, I noticed that my 3g is being used more than I can allow. 3G watchdog pro tells me that the mail app is using 5-10 MB each day, on my way to and from work and when waling the dog.

So what I want, is to stop the mail client from downloading e-mails when I am on 3g, and postpone the downloads to when I am on wifi.

I guess I could sync manually, but that would not be a great solution...

Ideally, I would love to get the notifications, but hold the download of the actual mail until I opened the app or was back on wifi.

I am open to solutions involving other mail clients

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

2. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    The default mail client can't do this on it's own. Personally, since I have a rooted phone, I use DroidWall to control which apps have access to the internet, and whether they can use 3G or Wifi. If you are rooted, that would be one option.

I don't know of other mail programs that have settings for this, but there might be some.