1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support (Sys mem) how to completely reset (or fix) amount of RAM used to launch apps?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Odin616, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Odin616

Odin616 Lurker
    None

Mar 1, 2016
    Male
    Manufacturer: Huawei
    Model: U8687
    Android version: 4.0.4
    Phone is rooted

Was modding an old Huawei U8687 of mine after fixing a couple phones for some friends I spent all night modding/customizing & tweaking everything & all was working great right up until I was just about finished I went to increase the memory/ram used to launch applications & instead of increasing it by small increments like 1-2% I increased it too much & now it still boots but as soon as it launches an application it crashes, even the "homepage"launcher itself, I can still access all settings, adb & all but whenever it opens an application it says for example: "unfortunately, 2D Home has stopped."

How can I go about fixing this phone as I am stumped.

Advertisement

#1 Odin616, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  2. Odin616

Odin616 Lurker
    None

Mar 1, 2016
    Male
    No ideas?...I am willing to try almost anything to fix my stupid lil screw up here lol I have sentimental family pics, numbers, etc on the phone...my own fault for not backing everything up first but since I've done this countless times to dozens of phones the last thing I suspected to happen was this...I will know better next rime & back everything up first.

#2 Odin616, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  3. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    1. Do you have (or can you run/install) a custom recovery (i.e., to get access to the device via adb)?

2. Exactly what did you change?

4. Odin616

Odin616 Lurker
    None

Mar 1, 2016
    Male
    I am pretty sure that I should be able to run a custom recovery & access via adb.

I was tweaking the kernal using an root app called pimp my rom...in its kernal settings there is an option to increase the amount of RAM the system uses to launch applications (mainly to shorten the time it takes to load large RAM hungry apps/programs...well I amped up the amount of RAM the system uses to launch things but instead of increasing it incrementally being that I was up all night getting impatient, lazy & frustrated due to lack of sleep I just doubled up the amount of RAM allocated to launch things instead of raising it by 1-2% like I should have...& now things, including my home launcher tries to load then they crash...though I can still access all my system settings just fine.

Thank you very much for responding I look forward to any suggestions you may be able to offer.

5. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    No problem--happy to try to help :).

I'm guessing you'll need to find/figure-out what file/setting the Pimp My ROM app was changing so you could try to change or tweak it back--I'm guessing it probably is just presenting a value from a file and allow you to change it and re-write that value/setting in the file--I just don't know what that particular file would be.

If you can identify it, you should be able to use adb from a custom recovery and change the file back.

6. Odin616

Odin616 Lurker
    None

Mar 1, 2016
    Male
    Awesome sounds like a valid lead finally thank you I will look into it.
    Now I just need to find out exactly which file was changed & the proper value to reset it to...better stock up on coffee lol.

scary alien likes this.