1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

\system\app\ vs \data\app - when is one preferred.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gelige, Aug 11, 2012.

1. gelige

gelige Well-Known Member

We can keep apps in \system\app and also in \data\app.

What are the benefits and costs, or pro and con's of placing the app in one directory vs the other. I know that it is slight more permanent in \system\app, but does it go faster, take more or less space, other difference?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Extreme Android User

system has its own partition. if you put apps in there (not all will work) then it wont be in /data space (more space for market apps) hwoever as soon as there is an update it will be downloaded to /data/app and then you will have double the space taken :)

this is why i use something like titanium backup and one of its schedules is integrate updates into system. it takes stuff like google maps and makes sure the latest version is in your rom not taking up your space for apps :)

3. gelige

gelige Well-Known Member

Thanks, I didn't know that titanium backup could do that, and I was confused if the updates were using "double" space.

4. Spz0

Spz0 Android Expert

I've found that apps in /system tend to run a touch faster from my experience (I usually put my aftermarket kbd in /system, for example).

5. Cuzuaintme

Cuzuaintme Well-Known Member

Link2SD can do that as well, and that is free

6. SacredBloodlin

SacredBloodlin Android Enthusiast

I don't know what the deal was in the first place, but Kid showed us how we can move the ICS Camera app from (I think) /data to /system and it works perfect. I don't know if this was necessary to make it more compatible or what but it works, and well :)

7. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Extreme Android User

Do believe it was taking the stock camera.apk's place, but thats a common trick ;)

Basically, system/app is for system apps, data/app is for user apps. Apps in data/app can be uninstalled w/o root, and the rest has already been explained. lol

Samsung Admire Forum

The Samsung Admire release date was September 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.5" inch screen, 3MP camera, GB RAM, processor, and 1600mAh battery.

September 2011
Release Date
Reviews