• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

'/system/bin/sh: sm: not found' Error

I have a FireTV Gen 2 box. Many YouTubers are saying this can be done on the stick or box.

For me, it either says “connection failed” or gets stuck on the “Connecting to (IP address here) Please Make sure the target device has network ADB enabled. You may need to except a prompt on the target device if you are connecting to it for the first time from this device.”

No option to accept pops up.

I have enabled “ ADB debugging“, “ Apps from unknown sources“, and “USB debugging”.

I’m using the IP address from the about menu.

My problems were due to the tap connection from my VPN. I decided to try a different VPN so disabled the original and started using the trial one.
It turns out that there was a conflict between the 2 tap drivers.
I deleted both apps completely ans then ADM worked fine.
Then I re-installed just one and everything still works.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Hi Colins2! I’m going to give it a try this week. Fingers crossed, that’s all it is.
I hope it works for you.
FYI, use ADB to connect to 2 TV boxes and my Huawei phone, both from Win10 and Debian Linux.
1 TV box is an old one that was only available in Singapore, called PixePlay, running 4.2.2 and the other is a Vietnamese box running 7.1.
Given their limitations, both work well using ADB and Android Studio.

Upvote 0
I am able to connect via Windows 10, I gave up on trying to use the ADB Shell sideloaded app.

Thank you Colins2 for your help. I appreciate it.

I'm following the directions here to expand my internal storage for my FireTV Gen 2 box. I'm at the point where I use the command 'sm list-disks'; but, I'm getting a '/system/bin/sh: sm: not found' error.

I'm not using the Remote ADB Shell app. I had difficulty getting the app to work, so I'm running ADB on a Windows 10 laptop to connect.

Any thoughts on how to install or find the missing command?

Device: FireTV (Gen 2 box)
Software Version: Fire OS 5.2.7.3 (652614020)
ADB Version: 1.0.41

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones