1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

System dump

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by terabyte128, Aug 21, 2012.

1. terabyte128

terabyte128 Well-Known Member

Could someone please post a system dump from this phone? There is probably an option in recovery called "backup /system." We are trying to port ics to the Pantech breakout and this phone's ROM seems the most promising.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. greyishere

greyishere Newbie

Hello will gladly do a system dump for you no problem as you long as you can tell me how to do it maybe in the right direction of rooting this phone .

3. terabyte128

If you boot into recovery, is there an option to "Backup /system"? That would be a useful start. And I am talking with one of the devs on the Pantech breakout forums about how to port cwm recovery to your phone, which I think would be the best way to root it. I will get back to you once i've heard back.

4. greyishere

greyishere Newbie

When I boot into recovery there isn't a backup option there is
    Reboot system
    Apply zip from external storage
    Wipe data/cache
    Apply update from cache
    Root
    Those are the only ones I will try to put A screen shot up.

5. terabyte128

If you connect through adb, try the command:
    Code (Text):
    1. adb pull /system
    It should pull the system folder to the directory that the adb command is in.

6. ratso1

ratso1 Newbie

Here's a system dump of my Marauder. I hope this is going toward rooting the actual phone and not just the Breakout. I'm itching to root this thing.

http://goo.gl/s6edp

7. terabyte128

Thanks. I'm doing some research for my own benefit and my hope is that I'll be able to help you all too :). Unfortunately I don't own a marauder, so I probably would need some Guinea pigs if I can figure this out.

8. greyishere

greyishere Newbie

Hey how where you able to do a system dump ratso. Every time I did it it either froze up or did nothing.

9. terabyte128

Can you get into fastboot on the marauder?

10. ratso1

ratso1 Newbie

#terabyte128: The Marauder really only has two hard keys on the case -- the power button and the volume rocker. The only combination at boot up that seems to get a response is POWER + VOLUME-DOWN, which takes me to the little android in repose with his case open and a trianglar yellow warning sign. A push the buttons again and get the stock recovery mentioned by greyishere earlier. Could "Apply update from cache" work as a place to load CWM or a rooted img file?

#greyishere: I read your problems on the PC end so opted to use the ADB tools for Mac instead. From the Unix prompt, I used terabyte128's push command that dumped the system, which I then zipped up.

11. ratso1

ratso1 Newbie

I should mention that the Marauder has a slide-out, five-row keyboard. Could any combination of these buttons be pushed at boot-up to initiate a fastboot?

12. ratso1

ratso1 Newbie

Stupid me. :hmmmm2: The Android screen IS the Fastboot. I guess I was expecting some sort of header or something. I imagine the warning sign disappears if I'm hooked up via usb.

13. terabyte128

In that case you could try
    Code (Text):
    1. adb reboot bootloader
    to get into Fastboot. I don't know if Pantech's locked this one up more though.

The warning sign screen is recovery, not fastboot.

14. greyishere

greyishere Newbie

Fastboot is volume up +volume down + power . It will bring you too a warning screen then do do as the instructions say to get into fastboot, pdl mode or reboot

15. greyishere

greyishere Newbie

Fastboot is volume up +volume down + power . It will bring you too a warning screen then do do as the instructions say to get into fastboot, pdl mode or reboot

16. ratso1

ratso1 Newbie

Thanks guys. Some ignorance of the android terminology on my part. The fastboot comes up -- a black screen with the fastboot header.

Is this a possible way for me to flash the CWM, perhaps?

17. terabyte128

That's where you would flash them, yes. Unfortunately I don't know the specifics of flashing recoveries and whatnot at the moment, but this is what I have found so far:

You *might* be able to do this and have it work:

1. In adb shell, type:
    Code (Text):
    1. $ cat /proc/mtd
    Make a note of what "recovery" is mounted to.

2. Type
    Code (Text):
    1. adb pull /dev/mtd/mtd2
    replacing "mtd2" with whatever "recovery" is mounted to.

3. There will be a file called "mtd2" or whatever you pulled, rename it to recovery.img (to make it easy to remember).

4. Go to Recovery Builder and upload your recovery.img. See if they can use it to build a new clockworkmod recovery for your phone.

5. I'm not sure about the specifics of flashing recoveries, let me know if you get this far

18. ratso1

ratso1 Newbie

There's no mtd directory, but recovery seems to be mounted at
    /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

In any case, I can't pull anything from /dev/ since permission is denied. And, since I'm not rooted, I can't activate su. A catch-22.

19. terabyte128

Dang. I though that might happen. There must be some other exploit for installing a recovery, I am looking through the system files on my phone to see where the backup recovery.img might be located.

20. AresRising

AresRising Newbie

I know I'm bumping an old thread here, but does anyone have a lead on the stock Marauder ROM?

I need to reflash mine and can't find one anywhere...

EDIT: Turns out Verizon is just going to ship me a new phone. If anyone needs the stock ROM in the future, I'm going to make a full backup as soon as I get it.

Pantech Marauder Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews