1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root System file 1969?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Ken C, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Ken C

Ken C Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 23, 2011
    Male
    freelance home maintenance contractor
    land of sun and sand (florida)
    Ok to start, if I posted this incorrectly or in the wrong place I apologize. My question is about 2 issues that may, or may not be related.

So, when I noticed that there was a rooted version of gb I updated the os and radios. Must say gb is very quick, but I couldn't seem to tether my laptop (never had a problem before) using the sprint hotspot, or the wireless tether app. Needless to say that wasn't cool so I restored my nandroid to the rom I was running. I'm aware that the radios need to be flashed separate from the rom, I have the files from xda to (if I understand correctly) to return my radios to what they were.

Now, here's where it gets odd, and yes I checked and still have my rsa keys. I live according to the open signals map app, between two towers. One 640+ meters away, the other is 4000+ meters away. I called Sprint. The person on the phone says the same, "your right on top of it, should be kicking ass with signal " well yes and no. For some reason the phone jumps from one to the other tower constantly, which makes me think that could be the reason my 3g speeds are so slow and I'm dropping calls. Also, the Sprint rep said that there was something on my phone causing the problem and not their network. I've been working on figuring it out and nothing has fixed it, but I did notice in the system files, odd files with a date of 1969 on them!?

I'm currently running Koni's elite lll with a 4.3.4 cfs&sbc netarchy kernel, with the most recent radios. Is there anyway to get my speeds back (I've tried Mr. ED's speed fix), tried updating my profile and prl, haven't flashed the radios back but will do of I need to. But is there any way that my issue could be those 1969 files. (Thinking about how the rep said it was the phone, not the network causing the issue)
    Or is there some way to stop the phone from bouncing between the 2 towers?

Any ideas would be great. I have the 2.2 sprint lover's rom and the 2.2 ruu zip file both with the radios included. Theory being to just flash either and see if it gets rid of those 1969 files by putting everything back to as close to stock 2.2 as I can get without unrooting. If not, I could always take it to a store. If I do that though, I can see my phone coming back with gb and no root.
    Thanks in advance to everybody, without this site and the great people here I've learned more about my phone than Sprint could tell me in ten yes.

Advertisement

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    Ken C likes this.
  3. Ken C

Ken C Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 23, 2011
    Male
    Ok took me a bit, but this is how I came across those strange files. Bear with me, these files are waaay down in there ( at least for me lol..)

I used "Super Manager" to get to them, I came across them while changing my boot animation.

Super manager> file explorer> secure> then I have to go back up a level to see these files: acct, app cache, cache, config etc... Go down far enough and you"ll see a file titled "Proc" in Super Manager I see what i guess are file creation dates? (yes/no?)
    The proc file is dated Dec 31, 1969. Inside of it are a ton of files with numeric names like: 1, 1003, 1530, etc... if I keep scrolling I start seeing files like: Cgroups, cmdline, cpu info, exec domains, interrupts, last radio log, vmallocinfo, wakelocks, wifi data. I just saw these files while posting the file path here. All these files have the correct dates, or at least the date of Jul 2, 2011. Makes me wonder, would the dates on the folders being different between Proc and what's inside it cause there to be an issue with the machine "reading" said files? ( thinking out loud)

Now that I think about it more, I've been getting emails to a yahoo account I have with 1969 dates also. I've never opened any of them, that I can remember atm. Could I have picked up a virus or something? I run lookout, but truth be told, wouldn't you have to get something for it to find to really know if it was working?
    More I think about it the more I think my problem is in there. Before I played with 2.3 I had been on my current rom (Koni's Elite III) for somewhere around 2 months, with the occasional testing of other roms. Lots of backups :) I don't know if it matters, but I'm also using go launcher, set cpu, etc.. (toys for my toy)

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to put out as much info on it as possible. I've also tried the "3g speed fix" you reference, which I've performed before. This time though, I lost my 3g totally!? I put the settings (proxy port, etc...) back to what they were before, got my 3g back but still slow....
    It's a real downer with that tower right outside my door and getting a 1x data connection say 80% of the time, but it doesn't seem to be location thing either. seems I'm running slow everywhere.

Any ideas would be appretiated , I'm not really a command line guy. But if i had decent directions I think I could do something. Shoot anything to get my speeds to where I don't feel like sprints robbing me. I've been tempted to try the Verizon prl hack to see what that would do..

4. Evo

Evo Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 24, 2010
    I have no suggestions, but I am using the Synergy ROM, and I looked and see a bunch of files listed with the 1969 date too. But also using a file manager with root access, I can see another 10+ files that also have the 1969 as a date, and they are not in the /proc folder, but they are on the same level. I am thinking your problem lies somewhere besides the date.

Ken C likes this.
  5. Evo

Evo Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 24, 2010
    Here are the pictures of what I see:

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      69.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      84.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      90.3 KB
      Views:
  6. Ken C

Ken C Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 23, 2011
    Male

Good to see it's not just me, with those odd dates. Didn't know if the dates were an indication of something else. Just seemed off to me. Since then i've seen files with other "strange", at least to me dates. Like 1970 etc...

Since my last post, I tried updating my prl/profile from a different area, diff tower etc... seemed to take forever. Then i did the 3g fix deal again. I don't know if that's still an option with new radios etc... anyways did the fix, and it sat on the handsfree activation screen for a long ass time. Almost pulled the batt a couple of times :) anyway finished that. Now, I'm not getting crazy speeds, but they're more usable than before, at least so far, haven't streamed any video or anything. And 3g still sucks at home dropped a call last night sittin on my bed a foot from a window. I know a bldg can screw with the signal but could some plastic blinds do it? I just moved also, but damn it I can see the tower from mh front door!! Just doesn't make sense to me. I seem to "bounce" still from tower to tower, does anyone know of way to get it to "lock" in to just the one tower that's broadcasting the better signal?

Update: if I stick the phone betwee the plastic. Blinds I get 4-5 bars lol.. could most of it be something stupid like that

7. Ken C

Ken C Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 23, 2011
    Male
    Hi guys, thought I'd give ya a quick update on my situation.

To start with, lol, I never did get the speed issue figured out. I noticed Evo mentioned running Synergy on his phone. I hadn't really tried a 2.3 other than the stock odexed rom. I wanted to be able to tether and said it had that. So long story short, wiped hell out of phone, flashed the Synergy rom, and presto chango, speeds are reasonable, apt building still screws with it. But if I put it on the window sill just the right way, I get full bars etc... and postin this tethered.
    Thanks for the help guys, I'm still curious about the radios, still seem to be "bouncin" for some reason. read a bunch of threads talking about it but I never saw s silution.

Back to playin with my new rom :D

Tags: