1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support System logs?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by crossmr, Jul 9, 2016.

1. crossmr

crossmr Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Male
    Education
    Seoul, South Korea
    Are there any system logs?

Since the 6.0 update I got a week ago, my phone just randomly restarts. It was sitting on my desk a minute ago, and when I looked over, there was my carriers logo again and it was just restarting. It's done that even twice today. I'd like to look at some logs or something to find out why in gods name it is just randomly restarting.

Advertisement

2. Parayilhussain

Parayilhussain Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 26, 2015
    Male
    Business
    Cochin
  3. crossmr

crossmr Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Male
    Education
    Seoul, South Korea
    It's pretty random, and rarely tied to anything I do. Though even before the update, I was getting random crashes and restarts with the official youtube app on my S5. I'd go to load a video and the screen would go a little weird, it'd freeze and after a few seconds restart. Maybe 1 in 20 videos would do that. It's done that once since updating, but in addition, now it just randomly restarts. Mostly when I'm not using it. It'll just be sitting on my desk and I'll look over and see that it's restarted, like what happened now.

So booting in to safe mode won't help I don't think, because I can't predict when it'll happen. I'm going to remove some recent apps I installed and see if that does anything.

A possibly related issue is that I see bluetooth trying to turn itself on sometimes. It's definitely disabled, but once in awhile I take my phone out of my pocket and see that bluetooth is for some reason enabled. The last time I saw that, by the time I swiped down and went to disable it, it disabled itself just before my finger got there. Definitely a bit odd.

4. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    You can use the logcat command (from a shell session) to view the system log.

It's probably easiest / best to do this from your PC, but you've got the USB debugging enabled and have the adb utility also installed on your PC. Here's a couple examples and ways to do it:

Display the entire system log:

c:\> adb logcat

Save the output to a file:

c:\> adb logcat > mylogcat.txt

Display the last 30 lines:

c:\> adb logcat -t 30

Display the help syntax:

c:\> adb logcat -?

Or use the Terminal Emulator for Android app to do this from your device--but that probably adds more "noise" to what you're trying to debug...

If you're rooted, there's also a kernel log:

c:\> adb shell
    $ su
    # cat /proc/kmsg
    # exit
    $ exit