• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

System Memory Question

I have just got a Note 9 512gb model and did a restore of a backup from a S9+ 64gb - everything came across to the Note 9 ok but when I checked the storage I had 46.1gb of storage taken up by System Memory - does anyone know why and can I reduce that somehow or is that the default amount of storage assigned for System Memory with the 512gb model - thanks in advance

why? the OS needs to run code in the background to make the device perform. that number sounds about right from others who have the 512 version.

you can root if you prefer--there's usually 3rd party options out there.

Thanks so others with 512gb model have the same issue? Seems like it's the norm then. Nah I'm not a rooter lol

Upvote 0
Though if 46GB is allocated to the system partitions rooting won't change that (repartitioning is something you consider at your own risk!).

That is, if 46 GB are really allocated for that. I always worry about the way that storage is presented: file sizes are normally quoted in binary, but storage device capacities are normally given in decimal units. So a "128 GB" phone (decimal) has a capacity of 119 GB (binary), and a "512 GB" one has a binary capacity of 477 GB. The difference between these 2 numbers is 9 for the smaller phone and 35 for the larger one. There's no reason I can think of why a larger capacity phone would actually need to allocate more space to the system than a smaller capacity one running the same software, so I wonder whether the apparent difference is really due to mixing of binary and decimal units? If we assume the system takes 10 GB in both cases, then the difference between the available storage and the nominal capacity would be 19 GB for the smaller phone and 45 GB for the larger one. In fact the system is the same size in both cases, and the difference is just due to mixing systems of units, but if we just assume that the difference between the total space available to the user in binary and the nominal capacity of the device in decimal is due to the space used by the system then it will appear that the system is much larger. And since Sammobile report that the 128 GB Note 9 has about 109 GB available that hypothesis would predict something pretty close to what is observed for the 512 GB Note 9.

If I'm right it's not an issue at all, just a consequence of the prefix "G" having 2 meanings (10^9 and 2^30) which differ by 7%, and manufacturers finding it easier not to explain which is being used where.

Upvote 0
Though if 46GB is allocated to the system partitions rooting won't change that (repartitioning is something you consider at your own risk!).

That is, if 46 GB are really allocated for that. I always worry about the way that storage is presented: file sizes are normally quoted in binary, but storage device capacities are normally given in decimal units. So a '128 GB' phone (decimal) has a capacity of 119 GB (binary), and a '512 GB' one has a binary capacity of 477 GB. The difference between these 2 numbers is 9 for the smaller phone and 35 for the larger one. There's no reason I can think of why a larger capacity phone would actually need to allocate more space to the system than a smaller capacity one running the same software, so I wonder whether the apparent difference is really due to mixing of binary and decimal units? If we assume the system takes 10 GB in both cases, then the difference between the available storage and the nominal capacity would be 19 GB for the smaller phone and 45 GB for the larger one. In fact the system is the same size in both cases, and the difference is just due to mixing systems of units, but if we just assume that the difference between the total space available to the user in binary and the nominal capacity of the device in decimal is due to the space used by the system then it will appear that the system is much larger. And since Sammobile report that the 128 GB Note 9 has about 109 GB available that hypothesis would predict something pretty close to what is observed for the 512 GB Note 9.

If I'm right it's not an issue at all, just a consequence of the prefix 'G' having 2 meanings (10^9 and 2^30) which differ by 7%, and manufacturers finding it easier not to explain which is being used where.

Wow thks for that very thorough response - in a nutshell you're saying 46gb sounds about right for the 512gb model and it's just Samsung not explaining how they arrived at that system memory allocation

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
I have the AT&T 128GB certain and my system usage says 46.9GB, so it's on par. There's a lot of programming that is raised to make this phone do what it does. Maybe that's why they announced a 64 GB version as it would have nothing left.

UPDATE/Edit - this statement was not correct... my system is only using 20.3GB

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have the AT&T 128GB certain and my system usage says 46.9GB, so it's on par. There's a lot of programming that is raised to make this phone do what it does. Maybe that's why they announced a 64 GB version as it would have nothing left.

But if you've got the 128gb then you shouldn't have 46gbas system memory it should be less as 46gb seems to be the consistent allocation of system memory for the 512gb variant

Upvote 0
Exactly: if the 128GB version reports 46GB system then my guess is completely wrong. And I genuinely cannot think why it would need to be so large: Samsung ROMs are big, but my Pixel uses 8-9 GB for system software and has 2 copies of the ROM in that (a/b partitions).

However, last night I read a Sammobile article on the Note 9 which claimed that the 128 GB version had 109 GB available to the user (which is what I based my calculations on). That is inconsistent with what you describe, so there's something funny somewhere.

Reactions: james27007
Upvote 0
The 128 gb should be about 20-25 ish gb. The 512 is about 46 so the op is experiencing normal behavior .

What I meant about rooting is that the OP can remove some apps he or she may not want to use by going with a 3rd party root package. Of course one cant remove the mandatory bits and pieces the kernel needs to operate the device. Apologies for the confusion

Upvote 0
I apologize, I misread the numbers under device maintenance (I must not have been fully awake when I checked). I have 46.9GB in "System/user data." Breaking it apart, I have 26.6GB in user data (docs, images, audio, video, and apps) leaving 20.3GB being used by the system, which makes sense and matches what marctronixx, Vernon Shelford, and Hadron pointed out.

But if you've got the 128gb then you shouldn't have 46gbas system memory
I genuinely cannot think why it would need to be so large
The 128 gb should be about 20-25 ish gb.

Upvote 0
The 128 gb should be about 20-25 ish gb. The 512 is about 46 so the op is experiencing normal behavior .

What I meant about rooting is that the OP can remove some apps he or she may not want to use by going with a 3rd party root package. Of course one cant remove the mandatory bits and pieces the kernel needs to operate the device. Apologies for the confusion

You are right about rooting and de-bloating the ROM it can decrease a lot of what doesn't need to be there. Next well should i say first best option is going custom with a customized already de-bloated ROM then going from there. Nothing that sits here in my collection is on Stock Android except for a few Verizon bootloader locked phones. BLEHH. If i can't toy with it I don't want it!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones