• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

System Settings: How to display all apps by default? [Android 10]

Going from Android 8 to 10 has been fun, for the most part. But there's something I don't like, and I don't see how to change it.

In System Settings, when I choose 'Apps & notifications,' this is what I get:

Screenshot_20200725.jpg

Then I have to select 'See all X apps' in order to see all my apps.

How do I change that to its old behavior, i.e., displaying all apps by default?

Last edited:
Change individual default apps
Go to app settings. Under Settings, locate “Apps” or “App Settings.” Then choose the “All Apps” tab near the top.
Choose the app. Find the app that Android is currently using by default. ...
Reset default settings. On the App's settings, choose Clear Defaults.
Select a new default app.
I'm sorry...does this have something to do with my question? :thinking:

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I have the same issue on y 8.1.0.

Lucky for me, I am using KISS Launcher, and when I use it to search for 'apps', then all the apps appear just as they used to on my 5.1.1 and my 7.1.1.

So, maybe using 'apps' in the searchbar of your launcher will give the same results as it does me.

To be clear, KISS learns your habits, and now when I type 'a', Apps is one of the first choices to pop up.

Upvote 0
Hi @MoodyBlues, although it may not be exactly what you are looking for, and you may not even have the option, all devices seem to have some major differences these days.

If I do a slght 'up' scroll on the 'home' button, l get 'recents', if I then scroll up a second time I get all apps presented on two or three pages as they always used to be.

Screenshot_20200729-090811.png

Screenshot_20200729-092448.png

Screenshot_20200729-092506.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks, @tommo47, but I'm referring to the way apps are shown in System Settings. See the screenshot in my OP. :)

@puppykickr, are those in System Settings? I can't tell.

Disabling the search bar is one of the first things I do with a new device, so I don't have [or want] one.

Upvote 0
I type 'a'.

'apps' shows up, I select it, it goes immediately to the system settings apps area.
Where are you when you do that? When I try from within System Settings, my results vary depending on what I typed...but nothing helps.

For example, typing 'apps' in System Settings' search bar yields:

Screenshot_20200729-115512.jpg

which goes on for several pages. Choosing any of its 'apps and notifications' choices yields what I started this thread with:

Screenshot_20200725.jpg

...and I have to press 'See all 154 apps' in order to see/access their settings. :thinking:

Upvote 0
@MoodyBlues you say you're on A10 but what device do you have?

I have an S10+ running One UI and prior to that the U12+ running Sense UI and for both I had to go the extra step of selecting System Apps to have them included in the Settings' app list.

Also curious what System apps you might be looking for? I cannot imagine it's more than the same 1 or 2, there is usually very little call for accessing their app page this may be why they don't appear by default in the app list I imagine, but you may be able to type the name of the app in the search field and have the option to see its app page without the extra step. I tested this and some appear and some do not so perhaps yours will be ones that do.

Upvote 0
Let's try this again. :)

On my new Motorola One Hyper, running Android 10, going to System Settings | Apps & notifications yields this:

apps_10a.jpg

In order to see all my apps, I have to select "See all 154 apps."

In Android 8, this same screen showed the entire list by default:

apps_8.png

To see that list now, I have to press "See all 154 apps:"

apps_10.png

How do I make System Settings display the entire list by default? Period. Without jumping through unnecessary and unwanted hoops. In other words, the solution has to be less labor-intensive than pressing "See all 154 apps."

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones