1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

System storage went down without doing any modification!

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Kharl, May 27, 2016.

1. Kharl

Kharl Well-Known Member

Hello guys!

this is a unlocked Nec Terrain

my phone storage (the storage available ONLY for apps) usually runs between 170-200mb, but from two days ago... yesterday i received a "low on space" message

Despite that, the only weird thing that have happened to my phone these days was a suddenly battery discharged two days ago, which i suspect was also the same moment the space went low.

i am extremely strict with the memory usage;
    this is how i manage the memory

*the phone has an internal memory for apps of 787mb
    *separately, has a phone storage of 4.34gb
    *and a sd card of 8gb

*the memory for apps.. the phone shows it is 709mb full (78mb free)
    *the phone storage, can not be used to install apps, but for anything else, for now i only use it to store maps in pdf and the map files for two maps applications, mapsme and avare, since in my daily basis i depend a lot on maps, i need them to work reliably and fast thats why i dont let those app to store their maps in the sd card neither in the internal memory for apps...
    *and the sd card... you know you use it for what ever you want, i have there a "my document folder which i handle like a regular pc, and some non essential apps installed on the sd card

Now, back to the space for apps..
    my total apps make about 440mb
    just like always, why suddenly the space for apps went so low without any modification (from my part) to apps?

i rely a lot on this phone so i dont use to try new apps and to install any apps without doing several reviews and receive a positive information of an app, in my bag, i have another phone for playing with trend apps and new untrusted things.... EVEN UPDATES.... i first doit in the secondary phone and when i see everything working fine then usually a week or 15 days later is when i perform the update in this phone.... this is just to show you how strict i am with whats on this phone.

what is sucking my space for apps?

#1 Kharl, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. You probably need to wipe the cache partition. That can be done in the stock recovery. You won't loss your applications. It will wipe the Davlik cache which is kind of where memory goes to retire:)

3. Kharl

Kharl Well-Known Member

what is stock recovery? the fast boot then the recovery part?
    will it erase app data like logings and settings?
    how do i enter to that i n this phone?

it is a nec terrain

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

I moved these posts out of the thread about the Nexus 7 just to keep the discussions separate.

5. Recovery is a system that exists on every Android. Its a fall back in case of system failure. I found directions here.

http://www.hardreset.info/devices/nec/nec-terrain/recovery-mode/

Keep in mind, if you decide to go this route, the guide shows how to do a factory reset. You do not want to do that. Just look for the "wipe cache partition" option. You will lose some of your app data. I think the biggest impact will be a longer start up time for your apps, at first. They will soon rewrite to the Davlik and start up times will normalize.

6. Kharl

Kharl Well-Known Member

thanks!

7. Kharl

Kharl Well-Known Member

ok, but for examply, a cache wipe... will delete my calendar events? my k9 email account and setting? my music folder player eq setting?

8. lunatic59

Nope. The system cache contains temporary files and pre-compiled apps for quick use.

FYI, @Bg260 , The Dalvik virtual machine was eliminated in 5.0 (lollipop) and has since used ART (Android Run Time).

9. lunatic59

Just looked it up. To get into the recovery mode on an NEC Terrain, power off the phone and then press and hold the volume down and power until recovery appears. (I know that's the same key combo on the Nexus to get into fastboot, but that's just two different manufacturers using the same key combo for different functions.)

Once in recovery (it should look like this)

[​IMG]

use the volume up or down to highlight and the power key to select. You want wipe cache partition.

When you restart the phone you might see a screen saying something about recompiling or optimizing your apps (depending on the version of Android) which is normal. Let it finish and then see if that fixes your problem.

10. Kharl

Kharl Well-Known Member

no
    i did not work
    in fact it restarted even faste than the normal, normally use to take 15-18 secs to start up, after cache wipe did it in 10secs about and the problem persist

11. lunatic59

Some of the other things that can clog up your system partition are large log files and huge text or email databases. You also might look at the data usage for individual apps. What version of Android is it?

12. Kharl

Kharl Well-Known Member

android 4.0.4 (id like to install a 4.4.4 but nobody has been able to root and flash this phone)

log files... i dont know, but email files i already check that, i have 3 accounts at k9 (no other app handles emails in this phonee) and k9 is almost the same size than a week ago, 14mb

13. lunatic59

In 4.0.4 I think if you go into menu>settings>apps you can sort them by size and it will show you who's the memory hog... i think.

14. Kharl

Kharl Well-Known Member

yes, you are right
    i have so strict control of how much memory apps use that io have a shortcut of settings>apps in the screen

when i go to apps, and sort them by size, the biggest one is
    google play services with 95mb
    mapsme with 39mb
    skype with 24mb
    google play store with 22
    weatherbug with 20
    intelly cast 16mb
    clean master 13
    k-9 mail 13
    my backup pro 13 and a couple of dozen apps between 12 and 3 mb
    the rest are around 50 apps ranging from 3mb to128kb

if i manually do the calc, it is around 440mb in apps
    the same (+-40mb) than one month ago

15. Kharl

Kharl Well-Known Member

the phone again... before goning to bed 45%, 7 hours later i woke up and its 8%
    in gsambattery shows that (in kernel) keepawake was active for 6h21m
    i have wakelook detector installed but i dont understand it too much

16. Kharl

Kharl Well-Known Member

Hi
    i factory reset the phone a month ago
    now the phone did it again

i have 1/4 of the apps i used to have, about 35 apps of about 150 i used to have

and TODAY i went to update opera mini and i receive the insufficient storage warnign and i said ohh!

yesterday i had 300mb free and now i have 87mb

#16 Kharl, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  17. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Frankly it sounds like the thing is dying. There's certainly some serious problem or instability with it, if it's forgetting and dumping apps overnight like that. 4.0.4 ICS is probably the most recent Android version it's ever going to get.

Might be best to get anything important off of it, backed up, in case it goes completely.

I know that NEC is not exactly a big name in mobile phones these days, except for switches, plant and servers, but not consumer stuff. BTW my first mobile phone was a second-hand NEC 9A back in 1992.

#17 mikedt, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  18. Kharl

Kharl Well-Known Member

any help
    anybody?

i hardlys uspect of an APP which is causing this,
    something like somebody from here but in another post suggest, its like a hidden log of a na pp, that is not counted in the storage space but IT IS consumming that space

help please

19. lunatic59

The phone will give you the out of memory issue if you are close, but not necessarily exceeding the phone's total available memory. Is your phone set to download updates? They could be filling up the space behind the scenes. I think you are pushing it, though with this phone.

20. Kharl

Kharl Well-Known Member

no buddy, you dont remember my case, automatic updates are off

i am not close the limits, i donw wan tto write allmy case but here aresume

i used to have this phone with 150-200 free for apps, for this phone thta was fine plenty of space then it went down to 100mb WITHOUT DOING NOTHING, that is not a notrmal behavior with this phone neitoher anyone i use, i am very strict with wyhat i isntall and downlaod to my phone, the total of the app give me a number different of twhat the system says
    i factory reset, after factory reset i got 600mb free for apps, i installed only the necesary apps then i got 300 mb free, way way more of what i used to have free, but since i am testing what causes the problem... and yesterday the problem arise, from one day to another from 300mb free to 80 mb

IT IS ABUG THERE IS A PROBLEMA SPY OR MALWARE, that is what i am telling you, is not somethign i am doing wrong and i am not noticing.. THERE IS something wrong with an app or any other software that IS creating ahiden file in ccess of 270mb thatis not being counted in the app managmen

21. lunatic59

I wasn't talking about app updates, but system updates. Sorry if I wasn't clear. In any case, it's almost impossible to tell without a root file explorer (which you'll need root for, obviously).

When you say you installed only the "necessary" apps, would it be possible to list them? If it is an app, maybe something would jump off the list.

If it is a virus or malware and it was able to install itself in the system partition, the only thing that will clear it is to reflash the phone's factory firmware, but unless you've been installing apps from shady sites, then I think that's unlikely.

22. Kharl

Kharl Well-Known Member

all aps downlaod fromgoogle play IN FACT for some apps i suspect i didnt download from google play and i installed the previous version that my backup did
    no no system update neither

this is the list of the apps I USED TO HAVE, with those apps i used to have 190-210mb free, for about 2 YEARS and never got low memory message, with this i mean that always was my average of free memory and no issue at all
    this is the list

a calendar
    advanced task killer
    aimp
    androsensor
    auto airplane mode
    avare
    avast antitheft
    aviation checklist
    aviation pocket knife
    barcode scanner
    charger tester
    clean master
    contacts VCF
    convert it
    dr web light
    droidcam
    e6b+
    earthquake alert
    easytether
    easytether tablet
    english
    field compass
    fing network tools
    first aid
    first aid
    gps test
    gsam battery monitor
    home remedies
    intellicast
    jhon GBC lite
    jhon NES lite
    K-9 mail
    Knots guide
    latest quakes
    maps me
    mdt tracker
    memory
    memory trainer
    memory wiper
    metam
    music folder player
    mx player
    natural notes
    neptune explorer
    NFC tools
    notes
    offline dictionaries
    OI file manager
    Olive office premium
    Opera mini
    OS monitor
    oscilloscope
    periodic table
    permission dog
    quick pick
    shoot buble
    simple stop watch
    smart voice recorder
    sonar
    spanish
    sunmoon time
    table of elemets
    teamviewr
    torch
    truetone
    unit converter pro
    voice alarm
    wakelock detector
    watch dog lite
    weatherbug
    weathe
    wififile transfer
    ---73 apps---

i factory reset the phone on June 1st and the following are the apps i inmediatly installed
    1 a calendar
    1 advanced task killer
    1 androsensor custom
    1 avare
    1 convert it
    1 dr web light
    1 K-9 mail
    1 mx player
    1 neptune explorer
    1 notes
    1 OI file manager
    1 simple stop watch
    1 skype
    1 smart voice recorder
    1 torch
    1 unit converter pro
    1 wififile transfer
    ---16 apps---
    (the no. 1 in front of each apps is because i have an excel doc where iam creating a log trying to get with the problem, the # 1 mean those were installed the same day)

probelm working fine, regarding the storage, but the mai n problem that did arise, the call log taking long to populate or partialy shown arise at about 15 daysa fter the factory reset and wonly with those 16 apps... i ignore that

then after that, i neeeded to use other apps, and i installed the following apps
    2 auto air[plane mode
    2 e6b+
    2 field compass
    2 gps test
    2 maps me
    2 natural notes
    2 Opera mini
    2 quick pick
    2 voice alarm
    2 weathe
    ---10 apps---

and this past week (7 days ago no more
    i installed this group of apps
    3 charger tester
    3 clean master
    3 droid cam
    3 fing network tools
    3 OS monitor
    ---5 apps---

so now i have 31 of 76 apps i used to have, and i have 78mb left of storage?

see my point?

23. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

I think the 200 apps corrupted your system files. But I can see where they were all needed....?

24. lunatic59

Two jump out at me right away. Advanced task killer and clean master. Task killers have been discussed to death and are patently unecessary, IMO. ANYTHING from Cheetah mobile is bad news. They do a boat load of nonsense in the background.

tube517 and Dannydet like this.
  25. Kharl

Kharl Well-Known Member

sorry, dont understand, you mean why i need or use those apps for?