• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

System Update 2.27.651.6 (3.17MB) FOTA Available

Upvote 0
I think the update that came out for the EVO was to fix the SD card issue...and it might also break the root exploit. I'm not sure if this update is related or not.

The old CARROT & STICK technique... bottom line is read the fine print, BUYER BEWARE, Caution - GREEKS BEARING GIFTS, lol, etc., etc., etc.

I recommend NEVER rushing to update your phone when one is out, at least until a few days later or official word is out as to the purpose of the update. But yes, word is, it closes the ROOT method for 2.1

Understand this... the EVO comes with capability that Sprint is looking to profit off of and increase revenue. The ROOT process grants access to some of those features and bypasses their revenue stream. They will be very aggressive in patching future exploits of the phone, of this you can be sure. As such... these Hero's WITH Root capability, might just hold their value for a very long time ;) hehehehe...

Regards!
:cool:

Upvote 0
So, has anyone determined what this update is for? I have read it thwarts the rooting of the Sprint HTC Hero's Android 2.1 update, but is that it?

Does it contain any useful fixes or enhancements to Android 2.1? I always like to be well informed before I install any type of update, especially to something as integral to my daily life as my smartphone.

Upvote 0
I just got off the phone with Advanced Technical Support at Sprint. I have been working with them for about 2 months on issues with my HERO and their AIRAVE service. I thought this was going to address at least the "known" issue they are aware of which the phone not switching from roaming/airave to Sprint and back correctly.

The ONLY thing this patch addresses is the elimination of the root exploit. This was a SPRINT directed patch and not a HTC one per the Sprint rep and confirmed by two supervisors for what its worth.

Upvote 0
Well, after reading this thead, i decided not to update my phone for a while... I actually wanna br able to root my phone.

Just so everyone knows. If you inadvertently update your phone with today's OTA update and lose the latest root exploit, there is a way back.

Just run the ORIGINAL .5 RUU that came out last month and then you will be able to root using yesterday's exploit.

This works for now, but beware of any future update/RUU from Sprint.

Reactions: nick325i
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones