1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

System update failed

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by droidros, Apr 16, 2012.

1. droidros

droidros Android Enthusiast

I am rooted (no custom ROM installed) and received a message that a new update 4.5.621 will be downloaded. My phone rebooted but came back with a message that the system update failed. I tried again manually and saw it downloading the files, but after rebooting it received the same message.

What do I need to do to install it? What's the consequence of not updating?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

have you froze/removed/renamed any bloatware? that will kill the update process.

3. droidros

Well, yeah, I removed Blockbuster and NFL since neither of them worked or did anything useful. I don't know whether I removed anything else. Why should removing bloatware prevent updating? Aren't these just apps like any other apps?

4. droidros

I guess my question is, should I unroot and update? Or should I install a custom ROM? I am a comparative noobie to this whole rooting thingie so I don't really understand what I should/shouldn't be doing. I just don't want to brick my phone or cause my apps not to work!

5. ylexot

ylexot Android Expert

Because they are pre-installed and the updater checks for all the pre-installed apps before it will update. But you don't want it anyway. You'll lose root and getting it back is not easy.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

trophynuts and droidros like this.
  6. trophynuts

Personally if it were me i would stay where you're at.

Any system files that are modified causes the update to fail. This includes those pre installed apps. It's also reason #1 why i usually tell people to freeze the bloat using TiBu instead of removing or renaming. Just so you can keep up with what you changed and easily unfreeze it.

If you're not having any problems i wouldn't worry about it.

droidros likes this.
  7. droidros

Okay, how do you stop the annoying update notifications, then?

8. trophynuts

i'll have to do some research and put the link in here. There is an updater file i think that you just rename and it stops the reminder.

9. cougar214

cougar214 Android Expert

I agree with ylexot. Step away from the .621 update man....lol. If you love yer root, DON'T take that update. Unless of course you have allot of spare time on yer hands and feel like SBF'ing the Milestone's .604 and rooting that. Which is a BIG PITA. I did it for a friends phone. And I ain't doin that again...lol

10. droidros

@Tropynuts... thank you very much for the link. I did that, after a little initial difficulty, and it seems to be working! (Had to change the permissions on all the folders first before I could rename that file.)

That message was driving me crazy because it was popping up every 20 minutes or so and re-downloading the update if I didn't respond immediately - even though it had already been downloaded and couldn't be installed.

trophynuts likes this.
  11. trophynuts

cool glad that worked for you.

Motorola Droid X Forum

The Motorola Droid X release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP3630 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews