1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Root System Update Not Installing (rooted)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by maplewood, Nov 23, 2010.

1. maplewood

maplewood Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2010
    My Incredible is rooted. For the past few days I've received a notification that a system update will be installed and the phone will reboot.

Nothing happens, no reboot and no evident change.

Now that the phone is rooted do I need to apply updates manually? Should I take the Verizon updates at all? (The only specific change mentioned in (more info" for this update is the addition of an app called "Slacker")>

Advertisement

2. HomelessDepot

HomelessDepot Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010
    This question seems to pop up at least once a day, so I'm going to point you here -

http://androidforums.com/incredible...07-v-cast-ota-update-not-installing-root.html

My post is at the bottom, the short version is you're going to have to do some extra work (the price of root access I suppose... silly, but that's American carriers for ya).

A mod may come along and move this to the appropriate root subforum

-HD

maplewood likes this.
  3. maplewood

maplewood Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Bob,

Thanks for those great and detailed instructions. Sorry to be so dense but could you please provide instructions | menuing path for these preparatory steps:

1. Tasker -> Off
    2. System Monitor -> Monitoring Enabled -> Off
    3. AutoMemoryManager -> Default
    4. SetCPU -> Profiles -> Enable -> Off
    5. WidgetLocker -> Settings -> Enabled -> Off

4. HomelessDepot

HomelessDepot Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010
    I think those are just apps, maplewood. Some of them may send instructions that could potentially cause problems during the root-update process. He means, if they're installed in the custom ROM, go ahead and disable them.

Mind, I haven't rooted my phone, so I have no first hand experience with any of this - just a rather lame intellectual interest :). My understanding is -

BD's instructions (Installing OTA to Rooted Android) allow you to update and RETAIN root.

You can also downgrade to OFFICIAL 2.2 (http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/181255-how-downgrade-official-2-2-a.html) and then get the update normally. The latest Verizon OTA broke the Unrevoked rooting method, and I don't think they've released their new version yet, so you'll have to wait for that before re-rooting.

There's also a way to disable the annoying 'update me!' message and just stick with what you have if you prefer (though obviously you'd miss out on the update) - http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/217209-got-rid-ota-update-nag.html

-HD

senor.ehlert likes this.