• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

System updates in 3rd party launcher

Hi! I'm wondering what samsung.sdm.sdmviewer is? I've read a list of terminology for the note 20 and i can't find it. I did find com.samsung.sdm which is a system update. I read a thread on here already what it could mean but i need MORE info. Is this a system update for hidden apps? Or is it a system update when you have a 3rd party launcher installed? Like i said I've already read a thread that explained a samsung deskphone (sdm) code but I'm not sure if there is a deskphone integrated into the note 20 already without user instalation. If there is will it update even if you don't use it? Or is it from hidden apps? I also read that samsung.sdm.sdmviewer is an update to hidden apps. I'm very confused. I need a very intelligent person to answer me :-(

maybe this thread helps.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/g...nology-description-samsung-sdm-sdmviewer.html

That's the package name for Samsung Deskphone Manager. Android apps use a package name as a unique identifier. Each app must have a unique one so that you don't install one app in or over another. The package name is also part of the app's URL for the play store. This is yet another reason why an app's package name must be unique. When you install an app, whether it be from the play store, third-party market, or straight from an APK, an app package is downloaded (or loaded) and then installed from the app's APK. The APK contains the resources and dalvik code for the app. The package name in the APK becomes the installation directory and will also create a copy of the app's APK within the installation path. An APK is akin to a Win32 ".exe" executable, but acts as an installation package at the same time. They're essentially a ZIP archive that houses the app's compiled code/resources that are used when the app is launched. Here is an example of how the package name works in correlation with the APK:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
/data/data/%DEVELOPER%.%APPNAME%/-1%APKNAME%.apk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"%DEVELOPER%.%APPNAME%" would be the app package name; developers sometimes place their name or the company's name, followed by the app name. Since namespaces are disallowed in package names, individual aspects of the package name are separated by decimals. I have found through my many modding ventures, that most package names begin with "com.". This is likely the result of an SDK automatically applying a package name from its own format or template package name that slaps-on the app name when the app is compiled.

Some apps even have multiple activities that will each have a "sub-package name" that carry out specific functions within the app. They look like something along these lines:
%DEV%.%APP%:
->%DEV%.%APP%.%ACTIVITY01%
-->%DEV%.%APP%.%ACTIVITY02%
--->%DEV%.%APP%.%ACTIVITY03%

These sub-activities function like entry points, and are essentially the same thing.

I suppose when it comes down to it, the package names and activities are decided by the developer and will vary per app. Often times parts of these names are abbreviations of things like the company or specific function. Some of these names can even be inferred as to what they are, or even do, based on the given names or labels they have.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Third party launchers make no difference to system updates at all, and with one exception (the introduction of Android 10's gesture navigation) system updates make no difference to 3rd party launchers. You definitely do not get special system updates for phones with 3rd party launchers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones