• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help System won't post. yes video, no keyboard response

codezer0

Android Expert
Jan 23, 2013
Arizona
Short version:
Board won't pass post. Won't go into bios, much less boot anything.
Tried two different power supplies, three different graphics cards, and four different keyboards.

Also tried booting with no RAM installed, as well as just one stick (four identical, single sticks). No ram is of course a different error. But doesn't matter how many sticks of ram are installed or what slots; it just freezes on error 99.

Not sure what else I can do. I grew to like this board quite a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_20211013_181752.jpg
    IMG_20211013_181752.jpg
    730.4 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20211013_185147.jpg
    IMG_20211013_185147.jpg
    641.8 KB · Views: 143
What does it do if you pull the CPU and try to power it on?

The times I’ve had a board fail even to POST and it hasn’t been a puked CPU, it’s been something internal to the system board. Of course you need a known-good CPU for it to POST, but if it does something different you can maybe lean towards it not being the CPU.

If you really like the board snag the model number from it and see if you can find one online. There are LOTS of places that sell used stuff, and not always on flea-bay. (That’s what I did with a system I built about seven years ago; I grabbed a system board from the used market not long ago and tested it, then stuck it in a closet. I’m not a gamer and don’t tax the system so it may last me until I die. ;)

Good luck.

Upvote 0
Haven't tried that yet... but while typing in the motherboard model on ebay, I... realized something.

The bios chip on this motherboard, is socketed. That would mean I could maybe buy a flashed chip for cheap, pluck out the old one and try with a (re)fresh chip. Would be a lot cheaper than any compatible board worth its salt.

Upvote 0
FWIW error 99 means there's a problem with "super IO initialization", and the super IO I believe is one of the chips on the mainboard itself.

I don't think it's the BIOS, because if that was blown, AFAICT you wouldn't even see the ASRock boot screen.
That would explain why no keyboard seems to work.

Always did also want to get some fast ddr3 for the platform, but never could. :(

At present I'm wondering if it's even worth trying to save it. Just would hate to orphan another CPU again. Already had to do that with my Q6600 since I no longer have a board I can put it into.

Upvote 0
Whelp, sorry for the late update, but since then I was able to source an Asus p8z77-v motherboard, a fractal meshify c case locally, and an i7 3770 (locked). Amazingly, once built and put through its paces, the locked chip let me auto over clock up to 41×103 with 1.18vcore. With my refilled 240 aio on it, even with prime95 and avx workload, no core went above 66C. Based on what I could research about ivy bridge, it seems I got myself a really solid bin for a locked chip.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones