1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

t bolt need help rooting... messed up

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tjwardx, Aug 16, 2012.

1. tjwardx

tjwardx Lurker

so i downloaded revolutionary last night to s off and root my phone. well before i hooked it up and got started i took my sd card out. so i only got s off. apparently there is a file i need that would have been put on the sd card so i can then select the file and use it to root the phone. well since there was no sd card, it didnt save the file... so now i have been trying a bunch of su.zip files and some pg05 or something file (which just aborts installation) and the su.zip just installs superuser app. so my real question is where can i find the actual file i needed for the sd card to root my phone?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Jrocker23

Jrocker23 Android Enthusiast

Your looking for the recovery file. Just google search clockwork recovery and save it to your phone, then flash it like its a radio file. U have to rename the zip file to PG05IMG before you flash in hboot mode of your phone..

tjwardx likes this.
  3. tjwardx

tjwardx Lurker

Thanks i will try that!

4. tjwardx

tjwardx Lurker

so i found cwm recovery 5.0.2.1, tried to save it to my actual phone but it said the phone didnt have space. it still has around 2.5 gb free just on the phone. so i put it on my sd card and in hboot it automatically finds it as an update so i either have to update then reboot or just reboot and cant even get into clockwork to flash it.

edit: i used thunderbolt tool to just start it in cwm and when i ran PG05IMG all it said was finding update package, opening update package, installing update, installation aborted.

5. scotty85

scotty85 Extreme Android User

your recovery will be installed in hboot,not in recovery. you need to rename your recovery download to PG05IMG and place it on the root of your sd card. you then boot to hboot(pull battery,hold vol down and power) and it will find the file,ask you to update. tell it yes.

after that has completed,you can place this file on your sd card,boot to recovery,and flash it to root the phone: http://www.androidfilehost.com/main/-Support_Files-/superuser/Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip

alternately,you can simply flash a custom rom,once you have the recovery in place.

tjwardx likes this.
  6. tjwardx

tjwardx Lurker

sweet! it worked! thanks guys. i had already flashed superuser but it didnt root it the first time. it was a different download though. this one i just tried, i checked the md5 sum and all, so i used terminal emulator and this time when i typed su it asked if i wanted to give superuser permissions to the app then i put yes, and it had the pound symbol. so it worked!

scotty85 likes this.

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews